Modus' Disciple

Right after releasing the sword stroke, Will lost his connection with the world. He had been exhausted right after releasing his Unbound Vector. And had almost lost consciousness the moment he released the attack. The moment the attack left his sword, his world turned black despite the fact that he was still awake.

He could hear nothing, see nothing and feel nothing except agony. Will felt as if he was having a spiritual and physical heart attack. A wave of pain and exhaustion spread from his chest to the rest of his body. Like a tsunami, the wave spread to the rest of his body, soul and mind. In other words, all three of his vessels were damaged. Will endured the pain and lost touch with his surroundings entirely. During this period of sensory darkness, however, Will felt a comforting sensation. He was shocked to find that he could now sense his body again.

'I'm still standing?'

Will was surprised as he expected himself to be on the ground, in bed or in the arms of someone kind enough to catch him. While resisting the pain, he sought a sense of the comforting feeling. The sensation came from his shoulder. It was a calm and steady grip that released a wave of comfort that brought Will some healing. Thanks to this energy, Will was able to recover himself and it only took him a few moments to regain his senses. The pain started to subside, but the weakness did not disappear completely.

Will's sense of hearing was the second sense he recovered. Modus' stable and commanding voice reached his ears.

"Stand my disciple, now is not the time to fall."

It was a simple instruction, but it carried with it an ethereal motivation that gave Will an odd sense of strength. Something about Modus' voice gave Will the power to recover and the latter had no clue how or why.

"That attack drained you, but don't worry. Your current state is just like that of an unfit mortal who fainted during a marathon. You will be fine after some rest."

Sight was the next sense Will regained. He opened his heavy eyelids and opened his eyes to a shocking sight.

Athena and Narcissus were injured! They each had a few minor cuts on the surface of their skins. They each only had a handful of small cuts. Like what a human would look like if they went through a thorny bush once or twice. Each cut had a small odd silvery-white flame.

The flames were tiny and not hot at all, but they did not stop burning. But this was not what stunned Will, what shocked him was the fact that they seemed to have a suppressive effect on the divine auras leaking out of the deities. When Will regained his Intent, he activated his Aqua Sense and was stunned by what he could see.

The entire area surrounding each flame was a vacuum of divine energy. The moment any divine aura or energy came into contact with the small flames, it would get absorbed and disappear. It was like seeing a dirty light bulb with many dark spots. The light it released would have many black regions. The divine aura leaving the deities was similar. The areas near the small candle-like flames did not allow any divine energy near to escape.

The other immortals and deities were observing Athena and Narcissus like human test subjects.

Random murmurs of 'Incredible!' and 'Fascinating...' escaped from the higher beings. Athena was observing every inch of every cut with incredible focus, while Narcissus had conjured a mirror and used it to scan the cuts.

Modus smiled and said, "Observe your work. You didn't do a bad job, my disciple. Athena, Narcissus, report the spread of the damage."

Athena was the first to speak as she poked the flames, "The attack reached 472 of my avatars, and my True Body was able to receive 0.000000000000000000455% damage to its true essence."

Narcissus gave his own report, "It reached 371 of my avatars. My true body received 0.000000000000000075% damage to its True essence. Not only that but the damage spread to all three of my vessels. It seems he can damage all three vessels at once!"

The higher beings revealed shocked expressions in response to this news. There were many types of creatures that could not be harmed by specific attacks. Physical attacks could not harm spirits while energy attacks were useless against creatures that could absorb it. Spiritual attacks were useless against the physical while mental attacks could not harm the inanimate. But Will could attack anything across the board.

Odin also added, "This should be the result of Momentum, Ripple and Entanglement mixing in with his Spirit Gate. It also seems as if all divinity within a centimetre of the flames is absorbed by the flames. The flames are also feeding off the true essence of the avatars as well."

Will wasn't capable of quantifying power levels in the system, so didn't understand the importance of what the deities were saying, but the others did.

Modus released Will from his grip and said, "Marvellous! Marvellous! Will you did not make me lose face hahahahaha!"

Modus laughed uproariously and Odin joined in as he excitedly observed the flames. Hou Yi and Jingsung Ha remained silent and just observed, one could tell that were entranced by what they saw.

Odysseus adjusted his glasses and said, "Prince Hercules, it would be a shame if someone this valuable died early, we need to make sure he lives for a few more centuries."

Hercules had thrown away the weight and used his hand to stroke his beard, "Yes I agree, Modus should at least allow him to live a few more years, that way he can grow."

Will had no time to celebrate any achievement because it seemed that his death was a foregone conclusion to these deities. Will was still recovering his senses and had a sense of weakness across all his vessels, so he could not help but feel negative despite his upbeat personality.

'It's okay Will. Before the system arrived, you were statistically not capable of living past 80 anyway.'

As Will tried to console himself as he gathered his wits, Adelda walked up to him. She had gone through thousands of emotions and thoughts within the last minute. Will had given her plenty of surprises, and she had told herself that she would be numb to his feats in the future. But he had once more delivered a pleasant surprise to her.

She showed a rare smile and said, "Will, you might not know this, but your chances of survival have improved now. Lord Modus did this demonstration for your sake."

Will raised a brow in confusion. Adelda looked toward the laughing Modus and continued, "Everyone here has one thing in common, they can benefit in some way from you. But under level 100, a human can only contract one higher being.

Some prodigies in divinity like Mercedes can do two, while those with Anti-Divinity can even do three. Anti-Divinity is unique in nature because even though it is the antithesis of divinity, it also shows that the host has a high affinity for divinity. In other words, all deity slayers are capable of contracting multiple deities through a Contract of Equals!

If a deity values you, then you will gain more from their assistance as you are an investment. Hence the more they favour you, the stronger you will become."

Will cheered up a bit after hearing Adelda's words. It was arrogant for him to believe so, but he was indeed someone worthy of their attention and this could benefit him.

...

AN: Time to thank our generous patrons, because their donations allow me to keep this book free to read for everyone: Claro Reyes, Jake Edwards, Mahkshum Akhmedov, Bald Taoist, Ms Soarez and Skyler Hicks!

Visit our patreon on for access to later chapters. The folder is currently 80 chapters ahead!