Contracts and Equals

A Contract of Equals was a binding agreement between a higher being, typically a deity, and a lower being, often a mortal. It allowed for the exchange of benefits, with mortals gaining divine power and attributes while deities acquired talents they lacked. However, if a deity lost a contracted mortal under this agreement, they would permanently lose a portion of their divine power, affecting their True body.

For mortals, the consequences were even more severe. If the deity perished, the contracted mortal would die as well, entering the cycle of reincarnation in a weakened state with a diminished soul for multiple cycles. Thus, entering into such a contract was a decision that carried significant weight for both mortals and deities.

Soul Sworn were individuals who pledged their life in servitude through a ritual, forming an unbreakable bond with their master. Only death could sever this connection. Although being a Soul Sworn meant lifelong servitude, being the Soul Sworn of a powerful person, particularly a savant, had its advantages. Masters held complete control over their Soul Sworn, who revered and obeyed them without question. Disobedience resulted in the destruction of the Soul Sworn's soul.

Soul Brethren, on the other hand, represented an even deeper form of the Soul Sworn contract. It surpassed the misconception of a mere master-servant relationship, instead forging a complex connection between equals. Masters, also known as Soul Meisters, and their servants could share information, including the servant's whereabouts.

A Soul Brethren Contract allowed for a more extensive sharing of attributes and traits. It created a permanent and irreplaceable fusion between the contracted beings. However, the extent of what could be shared depended on the specific nature of the contract between the brethren.

Typically, an individual could only have one Soul Brethren in their lifetime. However, the King of Titans challenged this convention by introducing a unique variant known as the Centralized Tripartite Soul Brethren Contract. This contract enabled one person to have three Soul Brethren, albeit at a cost. The person acting as the Hub became a power source for the other participants, supplying energy, attributes, bloodlines, memories, physical traits, talent, lifespan, and more.

While the Hub derived no direct benefits from this arrangement, they could utilize the elemental attributes and bloodline traits of the other participants to a limited extent. Additionally, the Hub possessed unique abilities, such as the power to summon others regardless of distance, provided sufficient energy was available. The Hub also had the authority to determine the distribution of benefits among the participants.

Within this contract, the Hub became the spiritual centre that others could access. It functioned as a network, facilitating effective communication among the participants. However, a significant drawback of being the Hub was that the cultivation of the Hub's own abilities was stunted. The Hub could only progress to the minimum level reached by the lowest-level person in the group, limiting their individual growth.

A Centralized Tripartite Soul Brethren Contract went beyond the standard Soul Brethren agreement, forming an even more profound bond between two beings of equal existence. Once bound as Soul Brethren, especially within a Centralized Tripartite Partition, the connection became lifelong and highly restrictive.

Under this contract, the option of having Soul Sworn individuals was limited. In Will's case, due to his unique mind, he could only have one Soul Sworn for each vessel, with a maximum of three. However, these Soul Sworn had to be the weakest in terms of attributes among the vessels they were bound to, rendering them essentially useless.

"How many deities can I contract right now?" asked a curious Will.

"One. But not due to the lack of talent. But rather your physical body is too weak. Divine Energy needs a powerful physical vessel. But there is a way around this limit. And it just so happened that King Odin has told you about it."

It took Will only a moment to guess what Adelda was hinting at, "The Tripartite Soul Brethren Contract!"

Adelda nodded and said, "As the Hub, your ability to contract more deities will progress." Will listened attentively as Adelda continued to explain the intricacies of being the Hub. Her words sank in, and his eyes widened in surprise.

"Wait, let me get this straight," Will interjected, his voice laced with disbelief. "You're telling me that as the Hub, I have the potential to contract even more deities? And the number increases with each additional brethren I have?"

Adelda nodded, her expression earnest. "Indeed, that is correct," she confirmed, a hint of excitement in her voice. "The connection forged between your three vessels and those of your brethren opens up remarkable possibilities. You see, with each brethren you add to your collective, you gain the capacity to form a contract with one more deity. It is a unique bond that grants you access to their power and abilities."

Will's mind raced as he began to grasp the magnitude of the revelation. He had always known that being the Hub came with its advantages, but this newfound knowledge took it to a whole new level. The prospect of wielding the strengths and talents of multiple deities simultaneously was beyond his wildest imagination.

Adelda continued, her voice carrying a note of excitement. "And it gets even better. Once you surpassed level one hundred, the benefits intensified. Each additional brethren not only grant you one extra deity but two. Imagine the possibilities, the sheer power you would wield with multiple divine contracts."

Will's eyes widened further, his heart pounding with a mixture of trepidation and exhilaration. The path before him stretched towards the infinite horizon, beckoning him to embrace its boundless potential. He had always yearned for greatness, to transcend the limitations of his mortal existence. And now, with the opportunity to forge connections with an ever-increasing number of deities, that dream felt within reach.

Adelda's words echoed in his mind as she concluded her explanation, her voice filled with a sense of delight. "And once you surpassed level 125, Will, the numbers became even more staggering. It isn't just one or two, but three deities per brethren. Could you fathom the vastness of power you would command?"

Will's breath caught in his throat, his mind spinning with the implications. A great weight of responsibility settled upon his shoulders, carrying Erath forward in these turbulent times, but this news gave Will a surge of excitement and determination. He realized that this newfound knowledge had opened doors to uncharted territories, paving the way for him to become a powerful force capable of defending his planet from invaders. The challenges ahead might be daunting, but the rewards were incomparable. With a deep breath, Will embraced his destiny.

Odin's voice cut through the air, his presence suddenly beside Will, catching him off guard. The deity's rough hand rubbed his stubbled chin as he spoke with a touch of disdain. "Don't get cocky, kid. Remember, according to our agreement, I will be the one choosing your additional brethren. The only thing you get to choose is three mediocre Soul Sworn. And let me warn you, there will be consequences when you reach level 125 and beyond."

A heavy sigh escaped Will's lips as he absorbed Odin's reminder. The weight of the deal pressed upon him, the gravity of the sacrifices he would have to make becoming clearer. "I understand," he replied resignedly. "I won't take it lightly. I know I have to give a portion of my essence to you after reaching level 125. I'll face the consequences head-on."

A flicker of determination danced across Will's youthful face, a rare sight for those who knew him well. While he was typically laid-back and easy-going, there were moments when a different side of him emerged—a side marked by intense focus and unwavering resolve.

Adelda watched Will Intently, her thoughts drifting as she observed his transformation. 'I suppose even Will can show a measure of determination,' she mused to herself, finding rare show pleasing to the eye. Though he remained a mortal in her eyes, she had witnessed his growth and couldn't help but develop a soft spot for him.

Odin's voice carried a note of caution as he continued his admonition. "Remember, you still have lifespans to recover and much experience to gain. As the Hub, your ability to level up is dependent on others. It's a significant limitation. However, with your skills in levelling and battling adversaries, I believe you won't encounter many difficulties in that regard. But make no mistake, formidable opponents will stand in your way."

Modus patted Will's shoulder and said, "Ignore the old raven, you will survive. You will get stronger, and you will not disappoint me. In fact, it should be time for your rewards no?"