First Day

It was a gray Monday morning when you arrived on campus

It was a gray Monday morning when you arrived on campus. You were anxious as you stepped off the bus to start your first semester of college.

You made your way through the quad. The area had benches and trees to shade students from the sun. Students mingled, talking to other students and making their way to classes.

You weren't watching where you were walking and accidentally bumped into someone. "I'm sorry!"

You rushed to help the student up. It was a girl, dressed in a t-shirt, jacket, and denim shorts. Her dark brown hair was up in a messy ponytail which allowed you to see the endless pool of her dark brown eyes.

"It's okay. You didn't mean to.," the girl said. You reached out your hand and helped her to her feet.

"New here as well, too? What's your name, by the way?," Mabel asked. Multiple new students around the quad were checking maps for their first class.

"Y/N L/N. And yeah, I'm new as well.," you answered. "What about you?"

"Manel. Just Mabel.," she answered.

"Alright, Just Mabel.," you responded, chuckling under your breath. Mabel rolled her eyes, although you couldn't help but notice how they were alight with humor.

"Cute. Do you know the way to English class?" She pulled out one of the paper versions of the campus map.

"Yeah, it's on the second level of this building." You pointed to a white colored building on the paper. "In fact, I'm heading there for class myself."

"Do you want to walk me there?" You weighed your choices: walk a girl you have a crush on to class and make a friend. Or walk alone. The choice was pretty easy to make.

"Sure." The two of you walked to class. The first day was pretty easy. The professors were going easy and mainly playing icebreakers so everyone could get to know each other.

After class, the two of you were walking to Mabel's car when she asked you, "Can I see your arm?"

You held out your arm, puzzled until Mabel pulled out a marker and wrote her number on your arm.

"Call me.," she teased, winking at you as she got into her car and drove off. You made your way to your car, unable to keep the smile off your face. Maybe the semester won't be so boring.