⊰11⊱

🌹

Following his orders, I find myself standing quietly with my back to the wall across from someone who calls them-self a leader. After sleeping, the puncture marks on my neck are but a faded memory, the salve that Sidney enlightened me with, along with my already accelerated healing, it was as though nothing had transpired that night in the bathroom.

My rose gold hair is up and away from my face, the tie high at the back of my head. The clothes are similar to the ones I've been wearing, black pants with matching boots underneath. The shirt I wear tonight, is a variant. A deep purple hue, the fabric clinging to my body and exposing the curves beneath make me wonder if all sizes are just slightly smaller than what our actual size is.

Cormac is speaking with two of his coven members. Their hair is very different from each other. One has light brown hair that passes just over his shoulders, though it is tied back while the other's dark black hair reminds me of Cormac's and Aohdan's.

"Arthur mentioned he'd arrive in Nolic Falls in a few weeks," the one with light brown hair says to Cormac, the cell phone he carries was hung up the moment he made his approach.

Cormac's green eyes flicker to me briefly and my muscles tense involuntary. I have not the slightest idea what Aohdan and him have been chatting about, but after witnessing the murder of an innocent human girl, I'm quick to keep my guard up. I won't let them see in and manipulate me, no matter how hard they pry. Death is the only escape and the proof was laid out before my eyes.

The mere mention of the leader of the council, Arthur Valentine, makes my skin crawl. He's the one who's behind the rules. He's the one who brought the vampires from the shadows and claimed this world for immortals. We're just privileged to live within this new world order. From everything I was brought up knowing, my mother said that Arthur is by far the cruelest vampire to ever live. From in his broken and twisted mind, came the Code of Conduct and the rest of the council that took the reigns were in agreement with what he laid out for them. She told me, if I ever met Arthur, to kill him regardless of the situation I am in.

With his death comes a chance at anarchy. Taking out the face of the vampire world will cause the remaining three to balance the shift of power. One wonders if the code would uphold if he were to perish.

Only one way to find out.

Cormac sighs, "I figured as much, that he'd be fashionably late."

"At least he'll be here after the kick off ball," the vampire with ebony hair mentions, Cormac's face lifting slightly.

"Very well," by the tone in Cormac's voice, I can tell he is about to dismiss the two. Unfortunately for me, that means I'll no longer be ignored. I'll have his undivided attention. "See to it that you make yourselves useful and aid Aohdan in the preparations. The festivities will begin soon and he doesn't want to fall behind schedule. After all, he's got a lot of work cut out for him if he wants to top last year." There is a chuckle that passes his lips, the vampires nodding and casting me a glance before heading down the hallway toward the living area.

The stare I'm met with makes my heart skip a beat.

Oh goodie, goodie, joy, joy!

"Come here," Cormac orders. I inhale sharply and calm my nerves before taking the few steps toward him, closing the space but leaving a good couple of feet between us.

The air around us thickens, the lock from his eyes making me unsure of myself. Just when I'm about to take a breath, he states, "Aohdan mentioned that you're not broken yet. From the very short time that we've had together, I've analysed your every move. Don't think I haven't noticed the tone you use, the sarcasm laced in your words is hidden quite well. You don't actually show respect, more like mirroring what Aohdan wants to see out of you."