⊰23⊱

🌹  

I'm part vampire...

There's just no way...well...it would explain the accelerated healing, but other than that, there is no solid proof that I am what Cormac claims I am.

His beloved? No, he's tricking me into allowing myself to think there can be any kind of trust between us, luring me into a false sense of security so he can kill me.

But...he knows I'm a vagrant and hasn't told Taft or Arthur...what would happen if they truly knew?

I rest my elbows down against the smooth granite counter surface in the woman's changing room adjacent to the indoor pool. Rubbing my temples and vaguely aware that Rochelle is falling behind in the changing room, waiting for me to join her and the rest of the selections in 'relaxing' before we are hunted down and killed...because there is no way that humans can lure werewolves into a trap without being killed first.

There's just no way...it's suicide. Aside from that very simple fact, I hardly know anything about them, even the term alpha that Cormac used to describe their leaders...it's all very foreign. History was written in the vampire's image and now I wasn't so sure that I knew everything about this world.

My cobalt eyes stare back in the reflection when I lift my chin up ever so slightly, wondering how to process all this information. At least they fixed the mirror, it actually looks like a better quality then the previous one.

I'm part vampire...no...

...I'm human damn it!

To be even slightly akin to these horrid creatures...it just sickens me and makes my stomach churn with disgust.

I blink my eyes rapidly a couple of times, pushing back down all the conflicting emotions toward Cormac. I can't do this, I can't allow myself to be sidetracked...but it's hard to ignore the warmth that makes me feel oddly safe in his arms.

He saved me...

"Rose?" Rochelle's voice cracks ever so slightly and I let my elbows lift away from the counter top, letting my arms fall down to my sides. When I turn to face her, she stands lingering in the open door frame, I see she is wearing the replica two piece ebony swimsuit that myself and the other girls were given to wear for this evening of 'relaxation'.

Her clear blue eyes meet with my own and I say, "I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry? You didn't do anything," her short curly red hair falls in front of her face when she bends to the side and grabs two fluffy indigo towels.

I shake my head and tell her, "If Aohdan didn't have such a vendetta against me, you would be safe right now. He wants to hurt you and Warren to get to me and it's working, I won't lie."

She flinches when I say his name, but it doesn't phase her enough to correct me. It's almost like she's fading away from his dominating grasp. Everything she's grown up knowing, being bred a slave in his walls is diminishing at the thought of her own possible death. If I wasn't here...she wouldn't be up for this selection and that is the only for sure thing I am betting on. Why would he throw away a slave he bred? It makes absolutely no sense...

Warren...I know exactly why he chose him. He thinks I have deep feelings and an attachment to him. Yes, I care for him, but that's hardly scratching the surface and I won't show anything else. Maybe if I pretend both of them mean absolutely nothing to me...maybe he'll change his mind.

Doubtful.

"I won't blame you Rose, but I'm scared," her eyes show her true feelings and I try to reassure her, walking toward her and taking the towel that she offers me. I smile gently and whisper next to her ear, "It will be alright."