⊰70⊱

Dedication goes to: @Cantoneseherpes for being the first person to correctly guess my question.

🌹 

I run hard, pushing myself as fast as I can go under the influence of the poison in my bloodstream. At least now I won't die of hypothermia, my clothes shielding me from the cold while I head in the direction of the cliff face. I saw far and few wolves on my crossing, most just staring at me intently while I continued to run, occasionally glancing back over my shoulder and noticing the vast amount of distance I covered.

When I reach where the valley meets the cliff face, I halt and touch the palm of my hand against the rocks. Catching my breath, I glance up and notice the ledge formations I'll be able to reach as I climb higher. Exhaling a steady breath, I reassure the straps of the backpack are secure and begin my ascent.

Gradually, I make my way up the cliff face, the wind whipping harder and faster as I increase in elevation. My hair snags on the torrent weather, releasing it from confinement as it billows out behind me. Pulling myself closer and resting my forehead against the cold rocks, I close my eyes for a moment, reassuring myself that following their orders is what is best...but I just can't help feeling like I'm being watched and whether that is due to any of the wolves from earlier having followed me or something darker present creates a shiver that runs down my spine.

Carefully, I pull my forehead away from the rocks and turn to look over my shoulder.

It hurts...

Everything burns and I feel like my muscles are going to give out at any second and I'll just plummet to my death.

I'm higher up than the top point of the snowflake crystal on Arthur's castle, my eyes scanning down at the expanse beneath of me. I see the hunting grounds along with figures of what I can only presume is the council, a few walking near the tents while others make rounds at the outskirts of the estate edges where the tree line meets Arthur's territory. I can't differentiate who is who and I'm sure if they were even to glance my way for some reason, I would appear as a spec in comparison to the large rocks.

Shaking my head and the foreboding thoughts, I tilt my chin up and gaze up at the halfway marker I am approaching. The bitter cold only grows chillier as I climb higher and higher, my step slipping once before I recompose myself and continue with my climb. As I near the top, I look out once more and I just see figures smaller than ants if that, knowing I'm not within sight anymore.

Reaching my hand up and over where the cliff face levels out to the plateau, I feel something clutch my forearm with immense strength. My breath catches in my lungs as I shoot my gaze up only to find Keir's warm eyes staring down into mine. A small smile of relief spreads on my face as I close my fingers around his own forearm while he halls me up over the edge.

I've not even taken a step or two before Keir pulls me into a warm embrace, my arms reaching out around him and hugging him back, a sense of peace settling around me. When we pull away from one another, Keir nods his head in the direction of the mountain form to the side of us, seeing the round about that Edeline had mentioned prior.

He gently says, "I'm so glad you're safe."

Sadly, I shake my head and reply, "No one is safe..." I pause a moment while we both turn the corner and finish, "No one will ever be safe until Arthur is dead." A few steps later and I barely can make out through the falling snow the cabin in the distance at the foot of the mountain. My vision crosses from the new elevation, the lack of oxygen and the poison coursing through my veins, it causes some of my body functions to completely shut down including control over my muscles.