⊰26⊱

🌹 

"Wh-What?" The wound on the side of my head quickly heals, my eyes widening at his words. Keir. Keir Wood. The man my mother told me to find...the one she said would hopefully protect me...

...it's him.

Keir's eyes lift from my still stunned features, noting to the other man Marc, "We need to leave."

I see something flash briefly across Marc's light blue eyes before he growls in frustration, "Those damn crystals..."

The sky darkens slowly above us, Keir saying, "The storm's coming in; it'll block the moon for the most part."

I almost jump when Keir locks his stare back with my own. He asks calmly, "Will you come with us?"

"I-" to be honest, yes the thought of freedom was what I always wanted and would forever strive for...but a small part of me feared what would happen if I didn't return. I really hadn't expected an opportunity to escape...my focus had been on surviving The Hunt with the slight possibly of escaping. Now...

"She's not staying with them! My mate will not remain as one of their slaves!" Marc snarls out quicker then I can formulate my own response.

His mate?

Cormac said I was his beloved...I don't understand...it's all too much.

I can't process, I can't think.

Keir barks back sharply, "It will be her decision. We are not like them."

Them? The vampires? The council?

My eyes gaze up at the clouds edging closer and closer toward my full field of view. He's right, it's going to start raining any second and the moon is almost a shadow of its former self. The temperature drops even further and I shiver against the cold ground I'm still laying on, still attempting to process what is happening. I can't though, but...if my mother said that Keir would most likely protect me...then it is safe to assume I should go with him.

Leave.

"I'll go," I say quietly, both pairs of eyes diverting from their evident staring contest to gaze at me. When they are almost unsure of what they heard, I nod my head and say again with firmness, "I will go with you."

Keir nods his head in return and informs me, "With the council member's blood in your system, you'll be able to keep up with us. We'll stay shifted, it'll be quicker that way and when we arrive at our destination, don't turn away. Don't be afraid."

"I won't," maybe I'm half lying...but he doesn't know that. The fear of the unknown is healthy so long as I don't let it consume me. My stomach churns at the sounds of snapping and tearing, and when I slowly sit up, Keir and Marc's bodies are transforming into that of the wolves I initially encountered, their golden eyes dark and almost beady without the moon's reflection to glint off of them. The sounds I heard, it must have been their bones shifting to accommodate their new form, the ripping...human skin shedding away.

Okay, a little gross...vampires with their blood obsession and wolves shifting.

The wolf version of Marc gently bumps his head against my arm, lifting his muzzle and sniffing me. Rising to my feet, I glance around the area of the forest in which I ran into and I can barely hear any sounds coming from the direction of Aohdan's estate. Keir's wolf pads a few feet away further from the estate and my heart starts to pound faster. I'm really doing this...

...Rochelle...

I glance back toward the estate, second guessing my decision, but all of those thoughts are quickly lifted from my mind when I look down. Marc's wolf stands at my waist, his hot breath on the inner part of my palm, his warm tongue licking my fingers. He whines at me, his teeth quickly taking a grip on the sleeve of my jacket and tugging me in the direction in which Keir's wolf is waiting for us, his head turned back expectantly.