10. the one where prince likes music and maybe that's not all

Prince was carrying the breakfast he had made for both him and Anxiety when he heard it.

He stopped outside the darker side's room, shocked still by the music flowing out through the crack under the door. Prince recognised that it was piano almost immediately, but it took a moment until he understood what it meant.

When he had left, Anxiety was still sound asleep. Prince got up, intending to surprise him with breakfast. After he got over the surprise of not waking up in his own room, of course. Now he was here, outside, as Anxiety played a lovely little tune. Prince almost expected him to start singing. In fact, he wanted him too.

Unfortunately, it did not appear to be a song with lyrics.

"Where's that music coming from?" Logic's frustrated voice echoed faintly down the hallway. Prince hoped he didn't investigate it further, because he wanted this to be something only he and Anxiety knew about. Prince heard a door creaking open, and then Morality replying.

"I don't know. It comes every now and then! Kinda nice, don't you think?"

Prince, without seeing, knew that Logic was rolling his eyes. "What did I say about that word? Anyway, how about we go see what Thomas is doing? Maybe we should explain it further," he wondered aloud.

Their voices faded as they walked further away, and Prince turned his full attention back to the song, not even bothering to wonder what "it" was. He wanted to watch as Anxiety played, but he didn't want to open the door, just in case Anxiety saw and stopped.

Eventually, he decided to rest against the door and listen.

As the final few chords came to an end, he opened it as quietly as he could.

"You're really good at that," he said.

Anxiety's head whipped towards him, jumping slightly. "How long have you been out there for?" He asked with wide eyes.

"Since about the start of the song," Prince admitted. Seeing Anxiety's nervous fidgeting, he decided to change the subject. "I made us breakfast," he said, holding up the platter of food.

Anxiety stood up immediately, and tugged Prince to sit on his bed. Prince almost laughed, but decided against it, instead just smiling. "I thought you had left," Anxiety admitted through a mouthful of toast.

"I had nothing on today that required my attention," Prince shrugged, picking up a bunch of grapes. "Hey, Anxiety, watch this!" He threw one up and caught it in his mouth.

Anxiety rolled his eyes. "That's nothing, Prince," he scoffed, stealing a few of the grapes and chucking them up in rapid succession. Prince watched in fascination as he caught them all.

However, he was not one to be beaten in a challenge, as he had now decided this was, and determinedly tried to do the same thing. Most of the grapes rained down and hit Prince in the face, which made Anxiety chuckle and pat him on the back condescendingly.

"Aw, Princey. Don't worry, not all of us can be talented at everything we do."

Prince glared at him, but let it go. "Speaking of talent, why don't you play something else for me?" He made sure to pull out his "puppy-dog" eyes, hoping to sway Anxiety.

Anxiety pulled a face. "Talent? You must be delusional, Prince. You sure you're feeling alright?" Before Prince could object, Anxiety shrugged. "But fine. If your ears bleed, you can't blame me."

He got up, moved towards the piano and sat down on the stool placed there. His fingers hesitated over the keys. "Any requests?"

Prince considered this for a moment. "Whatever's fine," he answered.