-Chapter 1-

Achieving Unbroken
Chapter One

-

"Sometimes the picture is clearer much more than you want it to be."
Chemistry | Steve Void + No Mondays (Ft. Clara Mae)

-

Lilla
[Monday, May 8th, 2018]

I don't know how long I've been standing here. My feet want to move, but my body feels trapped in stone, like I couldn't even move if I tried.

Why can't I tear my eyes away from him? I don't even think I've blinked in awhile.

"Lil?" At the sound of Piper's voice I snap around. "You ready?"

Oh, right. Crap.

"Um... I don't think I can come today." Her thin eyes widen with confusion, and as if she knows why I can't come to Starbucks she leans around me to look out the window. When she sees what I'm looking at, her face twists into an upset look.

"No." She says adamantly.

"Yes." I say back. We find ourselves in a staring contest, when Gavin comes up behind her.

"Hey guys, I think that Walker just--- Oh my God, are you finally going to talk to him?" I have no clue how he knew I was staring at Jason, but then again, he knows me freakishly well. His face is full of hope, and I can't help but grin at his support. Piper just looks annoyed.

"You want this?" She asks Gavin, gesturing out the window.

"Uh, yeah. She's been dwelling on it for the past two weeks while he was suspended and I think that there's potential in her plan."

"Thank you, at least I have one supportive friend," I snap, obviously staring at Piper. She rolls her eyes.

"Whatever. I'm being the caring friend. I just don't want to see you disappointed if it doesn't work out or upset if it goes too far. You can't fix everyone."

I get where she's coming from, but I'll be fine. I just think it would be worth a shot to try, even if I fail. Something needs to be done.

"Oh, I'll survive," I dramatise. "Seriously. It's OK."

She hardly looks convinced, which doesn't surprise me. I can definitely be more persuasive, but she's my best friend, and we always cave, no matter how against something we are.

"Ugh, fiiine. Go talk to him. We'll go to Starbucks and get you a sandwich so you can eat in math." My grin returns, cheeky and dorky and happy.

"I will always love you." I coo, and the two of them roll their eyes.

"OK, Whitney. Go get your Kevin Costner. I'll see you at passing." She says, and grabs Gavin to tug him out of the cafeteria. Before they walk out the door, Gavin looks over his shoulder and mouths good luck. I mouth back thanks, then turn back around to look at Jason.

He has his earbuds in, and he's hard at work on what looks like homework. His head is down, he is hardly paying attention to the lunch tray on front of him and some of his auburn hair is falling in his face, which he doesn't brush out of the way.