-Chapter 31-

Achieving Unbroken
Chapter Thirty One

"When life deals us cards,
Make everything taste like it is salt;
Then you come in like the sweetener you are,
To bring the bitter taste to a halt"
Sweetener | Ariana Grande

Jason
[Monday, July 11th, 2018 - 8:30 AM]

"OKAY, OKAY!" Coach Jenson screams on the sideline. He furiously blows into his whistle, which grabs the team's attention fast. Even though we have stopped conversation, he keeps screaming the following instructions: "DAVIS IS GONNA LEAD WARM-UPS. DYNAMICS, STATICS. OFFENSE: SEVEN LAPS AROUND THE FIELD. DEFENSE: FOUR LAPS AND TACKLE PRACTICE. AFTER THIS, WE RUN THROUGH PLAYS. UNDERSTOOD?"

From the other side of the field, where JV is starting their practice, I see a few freshmen looking over at us in fear. Coach Jenson's a tough coach, but cool guy. Listen to him and there's not a problem.

"I SAID, UNDERSTOOD?!" Jenson hollers again. A chorus of  "yes, coach" ripples through the team. He nods his head once, looking at us fiercely. "THEN GET STARTED!"

We look around, walking towards the field to get started, and Cannon — being the team captain — quickly starts spitting out instructions.

"High knees, to fifty yards and back!" From the 10-yard line, the team starts the dynamic warm-ups. While I can't complain that I'm getting a workout, I haven't done anything of this intensity in awhile. Clearly, Patrick, who is next to me in line, hasn't either.

"Jesus... Shit..." He huffs out every few jogs. It's a little distracting, because whenever he curses I want to laugh. Laughing distracts me from workouts.

"What, haven't worked out lately?" I joke through tired breaths.

"I'm not a cardio dude."

We hit the 50-yard line and turn around to go back. My legs ache from continuously keeping my knees at waist height, and I already feel myself working up a sweat in this 85 degree heat. Fucking global warming.

"God," Patrick pants when we are done, "I need to get in fuckin' shape." He bends over, hands resting on his legs and head bowed. I laugh, but it gets blended with all of the heavy breaths I'm inhaling and exhaling.

"Yeah, I think that this will do some good for me too."

Patrick lifts his head, and his eyes scan me before they shrink into a glare.

"Shut the hell up, Adonis."

"Lunges!" Cannon belts. Patrick and I share a look while he straightens up, the two of us walking together to get back in line. I notice Cannon watches us interact, almost confused; but he shakes it off and continues to observe the rest of the team's lunges.

"Are you two... I don't know, arguing?" Patrick pipes up after seeing what I just did. I shrug, knee bending forward.

"Not that I know of. He just doesn't seem interested in being friends anymore. I've tried to talk to him, but I can't force anything, right?"