-Chapter 55-

Achieving Unbroken
Chapter Fifty Five

"If I can't find the cure, I'll fix you with my love
No matter what you know, I'll fix you with my love
And if you say you're okay
I'm gonna heal you anyway"
The Cure | Lady Gaga

Jason
[Thursday, December 27th, 2018 - 11:08 AM]

"Hey, Sweetheart!"  Mom calls to me from her office, where I walk in to find her fingers pounding furiously on her computer. Her facial expression is neutral.

"Yeah, Mom? Is everything okay?" Sometimes when a client is pissing her off she can be a little more aggressive than usual, so we have to tiptoe until we are sure everything is kosher.

Taking a few moments to answer, she finishes her computer business with a satisfying click, then directing her full attention to me.

"Your birthday is in a couple months," she states, voice raspy from not talking for a long time. "We have to figure out what you want to do. I don't want to leave it as a last minute thing."

Oh. Shit.

"... Yeah? Okay?" I shrug. My birthday felt so far away awhile ago, and now it's closing in. I haven't thought about it, even though I really should; it's my big one-eight after all.

"Well, what do you wanna do? We have to do something, you're going to be eighteen!" She pauses, averting her eyes. "You're all grown up."

Oh no. She's about to get emotional, isn't she?

"Mom—"

"No, Sweetie, this is big." She gets out of her desk chair and comes over to me, grabbing my shoulders and rubbing them affectionately. "You're the only son that I get to see grow up. That's a big deal to me and I'm sure your father feels the same way. We need to celebrate it."

In all honesty, I had never put it in that perspective. Kids are kids, right? Both of my parents have other children. But they had two sons, together, and even though Dad has Carl there is still meaning behind that, I suppose. I'm carrying the family name. Mom's red hair. Dad's temper.

I carry some kind of singular importance to them.

"I know. We'll do something. Maybe some kind of big dinner with friends and family?"

"That sounds great. It's whatever you want, Sweetie."

"Okay," I nod, making a silent promise to myself to think more about what I want to do. "I'll give it more time, but I think I just wanna have everyone together, you know?"

"Yeah," Mom whispers, pulling me in for a hug. "I know."

Lilla
[Thursday, January 18th, 2019 - 1:48 PM]

Me: Hi, Saige! It's Lilla. I was hoping to talk to you about Jason's birthday?

Saige: Lilla! Hey there. What's up?

Me: Jason's birthday is February 23rd, right?

Saige: Yes it is, I've been on him about making birthday plans... Why?