-Chapter 12-

Achieving Unbroken
Chapter Twelve

"I look at you now and I want this forever,
I might not deserve it but there's nothing better;
Don't know how I ever did it all without you,
My heart is about to, about to, jump out of my chest"
Paris In The Rain | Lauv

Lilla
[Wednesday, May 17th, 2018 - After School]

Jason and I decided to make the quick drive to Green Lake after relentlessly texting in class to figure out where to go. A few close calls with our teachers later, and boom: Green Lake it is!

Thank goodness I keep a change of shoes in my car at all times; if not, I would be walking over a mile in these wedges that I can only tolerate for so long.

The cool breeze whips my hair around, and I have to keep messing with it to get it out of my face. Jason laughs at my struggle.

"I'm sorry, is my brutal war with Mother Nature funny to you?"

"Yes, because you could just put your hair in a hair tie."

I scoff, and aggressively tuck long strands of hair behind my ear for like, the 52nd time.

"I look like a horse when I tie my hair up. I'll pass."

He doesn't respond, but he looks down at me, doubtful. Wind blows hair in my face again, and Jason stops walking. I stop with him. Curiously staring up at him, I see him bring his hand up to move the hair away. The tips of his fingers barely brush my forehead, but it's enough to put me in a state of shock.

You see, I don't really blush. I'm more of a muscles-tense-up-too-scared-to-move girl.

I turn my head after he pushes away the hair. Too much already and we haven't even walked 20 feet.

Jason clears his throat.

"So, October is when we come out as a couple? That's what we agreed?"

"Uh, yeah. If we hang out over the summer as much as we can, and then get seen together around school as senior year starts, I think it'll be good timing, yeah?" I shrug. He nods in agreement.

"Yeah. Just, like, what are we going to do when we hang out over the summer? I don't know how this is supposed to work." Our arms brush against each other as we walk along, and I giggle at his hesitation.

"Well, I don't know if this will come as a surprise to you, but I haven't done anything like this either. Summer will be like this, you know? We'll just get comfortable with each other. Learn the favorite movies, favorite songs, basic schedules. If and when I see the guys over summer, you come with. Or if I hear about the guys going out and doing something, I'll recommend that they ask you to come along. You'll train and try out for football. Just trying to slowly but surely rope you back in."

He looks down as he walks and I can visibly see the gears turning in his head, spinning and spinning and spinning. I wait for a response.