-Chapter 11-

Achieving Unbroken
Chapter Eleven

"I'm a little kid, and so are you;
Don't you go and grow up before I do...
I'm a little kid, with so much doubt;
Do you wanna be there to see how I turn out?"
Turning Out | AJR

Jason
[Saturday, July 14th, 2008]

"Okay, kiddos, you guys gotta go clean up before dinner. Make sure you change your clothes and try to clean up your feet. Jason, can you make sure Joey gets cleaned up?" Dad unlocks the door as he provides our instructions. I rapidly nod, eager for him to trust me with my brother's care.

"Sir, yes sir," I salute. His smile in response fills me with confidence.

I take Joey by the arm and yank him up the staircase to the hallway with our rooms. I lead him to the bathroom and tell him to get in the bathtub while I go and grab us some clothes. When I come back, he's sitting patiently, wiggling his toes with excitement. I crank the faucet to a low pressure level, even though that makes it freezing cold, and Joey squeaks when the water hits his feet. Quickly, I wash his feet off and get him out of the tub, handing him a towel, and tell him to change while I wash my feet off.

I'm stepping into the bathtub when I hear the shouting.

Joey meets my eyes in a curious yet fearful gaze, and I step out of the tub.

"Stay here," I instruct. He nods and sits on the lid of the toilet.

Slowly, I pry open the door and tiptoe into the hallway and down the stairs, peering around the wall to where Mom and Dad's room is tucked behind.

From the angle I'm at, I'm staring at Daddy's back, but I can see Mommy. She's in her underwear. There's another woman, too; a blond, who is frantically trying to put some pants on.

"How long has this even been going on, Saige?" Dad exclaims. Mommy has her hands out in front of her, trying to get Daddy to calm down. It's not working.

"A year," she says with a steady voice.

"A year!?"

"Yes, a year," she responds, voice slightly raising.

"Jesus fucking Christ! We have two kids! A friggin company! If you're so, goddamn miserable—"

"Stephen—"

"Then lets get a divorce. You clearly want that." Dad turns around to walk away and I quickly duck back behind the wall.

My heart throws itself against my rib cage.

Divorce. Divorce. Divorce.

"Stephen, wait! We can't. You just said, we have two kids, a company!"

"The kids have been growing up in a household with parents who act like roommates. They haven't seen us in love, Saige. And you obviously want to explore your options."