-Chapter 42-

Achieving Unbroken
Chapter Forty Two

"Wearing your t-shirt I'm queen of the night,
One hand on the wheel and one hand on my thigh"
Queen of the Night | Hey Violet

Jason
[Sunday, August 1st, 2018]

"Hey, Jace," I hear a light voice whisper. There's something touching my bare arm, and I realize it's another hand; upon closer inspection, the hand is Lilla's. "Good morning." She smiles, eyelashes fluttering as she blinks. She looks angelic.

The thought about waking up to see her every morning pops into my head, and I shove the elation that it brings me aside.

"Morning," I grunt, even though I have a sleepy grin on my face. My head is still half pushed into the pillow as I lay on my stomach, my right arm coming around under the pillow for support. I must look a mess right now.

"Sleep well?"

"Yeah," I smirk. "You?"

"Well, it's not being crammed next to you on a twin bed, but it was good."

My eyes squint from the smile that adorns my face. Lilla runs her hand up my arm and across the back of my shoulder; the light touch of her fingers igniting a fire in my stomach. My back muscles flex under her hand, and I watch as her eyes flicker towards it, something close to want written in her eyes. She clears her throat.

"Well, uh, we've kind of gotta get going, if we don't want to get caught in traffic. Do you want me to drive us back?"

Moment over; I push up on my arms and sling my legs over the edge of the bed.

"Nope, I'll drive us. Have you eaten?"

"Yeah, I'm just packing now. I got you a bowl of cereal so you can eat and pack." Looking to the nightstand, as Lilla said, there is a large bowl of colorful cereal, milk, and a spoon. Suddenly, my stomach aches at the thought of eating, and I reach for the bowl to start inhaling the food. An amused grin stretches along Lilla's face. "Okay then. I'll be in my room packing, tell me when you're ready."

She stands up from her squatting position and throws one last smile over her shoulder before briskly walking out of the room. I stare after her, like the entire interaction has left me breathless. I feel so sensitive to every conversation we have after the other night.

Overall, this trip has been a ride.

Rapidly swallowing the last spoonful of cereal, I toss the bowl back onto the nightstand and heave myself off of the bed to stand. I sift through the dresser drawers to find a T-shirt and some sweats, throwing them on before walking out to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face.

"I still can't believe you slept in his bed with him," I hear Piper say when I pass their bedroom. A blush rushes to my cheeks.

"Why? It was nice. He didn't have nightmares."

"God... Still. You haven't even kissed yet you're spending the night together."