-Chapter 39-

Achieving Unbroken
Chapter Thirty Nine

"Wasting my time on you, so many nights
What am I supposed to do?
I'm losing my mind"
David Bowie | chloe mk

Lilla
[Friday, July 30th, 2018 - 7:42 AM]

Rubbing my eyes, exhausted out of my mind, I trudge up the stairs to the main floor so that I can get some kind of makeshift breakfast from the kitchen. Hopefully nobody is awake yet, or if they are, they aren't in the kitchen. My mental state has not been prepared for socializing yet.

"Oh! Good morning, Lil!" A familiar voice chips.

Fuck. Especially not for this.

For a split second, I consider the endgame of growling at Shay and Bianca, and crawling back down to the basement where I can just sit and deprive my body of nutrients. The aching of my stomach shuts that idea down fast.

"Morning," I grumble, pushing past them and opening a cupboard. There's a pack of bagels; I'll just throw one in the toaster and slather some peanut butter on it. Sounds good.

"Somebody's grumpy," Bianca attempts to joke around. "Did you not sleep well last night? You looked pretty cozy on Jason's lap."

Pushing down the lever on the toaster, I spin around, leaning myself against the counter.

"Bianca, if you're trying to make some sort of statement about my relationship with Jason, spit it out. You didn't have this kind of hesitation when you were flat out calling him an asshole," I tell her, turning back to search the pantry for a jar of peanut butter.

"Well well well, someone's in one of her moods." Without looking at Shayla, I roll my eyes, mouth turning into a frown. "Bee and I and just trying to understand what's going on with Jason. I mean, you did dump us for him."

It's actually too early for me to have to handle this shit.

Slamming my hands on the counter, I face them.

"Yeah, I did. I'm sorry that you're not over it."

The bagel makes an abrupt pop! when it is done in the toaster, so I get a small plate to slide the halves of the bagel on to.

"We're confused, Lilla. You didn't even know this guy, and you chose him over your best friends."

"Because I don't associate myself with people who lack empathy and human compassion," I deadpan, spreading peanut butter on one half of the bagel.

"You don't know Jason, Lil." Bianca starts again. "He's a loose cannon. He's fucked up over that kids death—"

For a moment, a small, instant moment, I think of Cannon's words.

He's a ticking time bomb, Lilla.

But it doesn't last long in the slightest.