-Chapter 53-

Achieving Unbroken
Chapter Fifty Three

"I lose my mind before I see you and I separated;
I'm so scared to lose you, never choosing to let go,
Love's so fragile, anything can happen, and we know"
Blind | PRETTYMUCH

Lilla
[Saturday, December 1st, 2018]

Jace❤️: Good morning, my beloved fake girlfriend. I have an invitation for you.

Me: I'm intrigued.

One minute goes by.

Me: Ok. Suspense has gone on long enough. Getting bored.

Jace❤️: Haha, sorry. I'll tell you.

Jace❤️: On Friday night, December 21st, my parents firm is having what my mom is calling a gala. Carl and the twins can't come but they want me there and said that I can bring a date because if I have to wear a suit and talk to their stuffy partners of the firm I'm going to commit a felony.

Me: That's so cool! Is this you asking me on a date? 😊

Jace❤️: Not just any date, Lilly. This is the Oakland Law Charity Gala. This is the one of the only times a year that the wealth of Seattle will actually wear formal clothing

Me: Ahaahahaha you're so right. I'm there. Thank you so much for inviting me!! I think I have the perfect dress too ;)

Running upstairs to where my mom is in her bathroom doing her hair, I have an unbreakable smile as I wheeze from not pacing myself.

"Mom," comes out in one of my exhales, "Jason invited me to a charity gala his parents are throwing and I need to borrow one of your dresses."

My mom, who took her turn working for some luxury clothing stores for a bit in the 90's, has a small group of beautiful gowns that she's worn to a handful of events. I used to try them on all the time as a little kid, but they never fit me... And now that I'm significantly more, erm, developed, they probably fit like a glove now.

"Oh, but Lilla, don't you want a new one?"

I mean, that would be cool, but why spend hundreds of dollars when you can wear a dress that you already own that is in perfect shape?

So that's exactly what I tell her. She clearly forgot about the dress hiding in the back of her closet that she never looks at and hasn't worn in 20 years, the dress which I dubbed the "mermaid" dress when I was younger. Funny, because it's actually the literal mermaid dress style, but I didn't name it because of that; I named it that because it has rhinestones all over it and is sea foam green.

It looks like a designer dress that a legitimate mermaid would wear.

"I'm not sure I have something that's a good style for this kind of event..."

"What about the mermaid dress?"

Her jaw slacks, lips forming a small "o".