-Chapter 9-

Achieving Unbroken
Chapter Nine

"She can take you one-on-one if she feels right,
You'll be begging her for mercy"
Particular Taste | Shawn Mendes

Jason
[Saturday, February 3rd, 2017]

"Joey! Do you know where my black jeans are?" I scream, jogging down the stairs of my dad's house and into the kitchen. When I walk through the doorway, I see my little brother—and his tutor, who has her attention on a book. Typical.

"Did you check the dryer? I think that Dad or Penny washed 'em. You know,
like you do with dirty clothes."

I roll my eyes, and turn to the fridge to get something to drink.

"Those can't go in the dryer, Dipshit. I knew I shouldn't have loaned them to you, I'm the only one who can wash my own effing clothes—" I grab a Cherry Coke and slam the refrigerator shut. "Hey, Lilla."  She drags her eyes away from the book to look at me, eyes tracing me up and down.

"Hi Jason," she says with a tight-lipped smile. Then she turns to my brother. "I didn't say to stop doing the problems. Keep going."  Her gaze returns to the book without a second glance at me.

Not like I want her attention or anything.

Taking a swig from the bottle, I smile at her snark.

"I'm sorry, did you need something?" I jump from my position leaning against the fridge, her voice startling me.

"Huh?"

"You've been standing there staring in our direction for longer than 10 seconds. You're staring at something. Do you need help with your math homework, too?"

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck, fuckity fuck fuck. Abort mission. Extract yourself from the situation ASAP, Dumbass.

"Uh— No. I'm good. Sorry." Turning on my heel, I start towards the exit. But, her voice stops me. And I hope it's not more sass in my direction.

"Hey! Um, I'm sorry. You can hang around if you want. Just try not to distract Joey." When I look at her, she looks a little flustered. Embarrassed. Not like Lilla.

Maybe I could hang around a little longer. I just can't make a fool of myself.

"Hunny, please. My brother may be a dickhead but he doesn't distract me. My ADHD is enough."

Lilla and I share an odd look.

"Did you just call me 'Hunny'?"

"Yeah. I like when you do it to me, so I thought I would return the favor."

She bursts out laughing. Like, red-in-the-face, falling-back-in-her-chair laughing. I can't help but internally acknowledge how cute her laugh is, the way her hair gets tucked behind her ears as she collects herself. I plop down in the chair next to her.