-Chapter 24-

Achieving Unbroken
Chapter Twenty Four

"Stolen moments that we steal as the curtain falls,
It'll never be enough"
Secret Love Song (Pt. 2) | Little Mix

Lilla
[Monday, May 20th, 2018 - After School]

"So, whose heart did you break last week? Or, correction: hearts," I tease Devon as we walk down from our parked cars to our favorite little bakery. She tosses her head back as she laughs.

Devon is one of my overall closest friends; our dads are basically brothers, having known each other since high school. Her and I connected fast, and have known each other since I was seven years old and she was nine.

Yes, she's a senior in high school and will be graduating in a month. She's not at Bringham so I don't see her every day, even though her and I do our best and see each other on most weekends, but we haven't seen each other lately. She's gonna go to beauty school, which I'm so excited about; but not having her around is going to suck.

Devon also happens to be a bit of a tease. With her perfect smile and long ass legs, people fall at her feet, but she is waiting for someone very special to grab her attention. I've begged her to let my set her up with someone, like Vince or one of my theatre girls, but she vehemently refuses. She wants to get through high school with zero distractions, and has accomplished that; but no one said she couldn't have a little fun.

"Only one," she sighs. "Sweet guy, too. A little junior. Adorable, really. I just smiled at him and said that maybe in a few years, once he's gone through puberty."

I choke. Sometimes, I think to myself, I get concerned for her. But it's only because I'm kinda envious that she has no fear of teasing guys.

I can be a bitch to anyone. But being a tease is a label I'm not sure I'm looking for.

"God, I'm impressed," I shake my head. "Only you can practically rip a guy's dick off with your words."

"What can I say?" Devon jokes, flipping her hair over her shoulder. "It's a gift."

Her and I continue to giggle about her admirers, when my phone lights up in my hand. It's Jason again, I had been texting him from my car in the parking space that I snagged, but then Dev had arrived, and now his response was just coming in.

"Oh, does my Little Lilla finally have a decent gentleman caller?" I wince slightly, remembering her disdain for Maxwell. She would always say "it's just a vibe I get" when I asked her why, which isn't a substantial answer, but I would let it go. Just wait until she finds out that him and I won't be seeing each other anymore.

"Actually," I start, "I shut that down. Today, coincidentally. He wanted more, and I didn't. I'm sure you're ecstatic," I drone. She glows, smile taking the attention of everyone walking down the sidewalk.

"Ugh, yes!" She throws her fist in the air. "I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. He didn't deserve you at all. Now, is this a new guy?"