-Chapter 7-

Achieving Unbroken
Chapter Seven

"I said maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me
And after all,
You're my wonderwall"
Wonderwall | Oasis

Jason
[Monday, May 15th, 2017]

The next day, at lunch, I actually walk into the cafeteria instead of sprinting outside. Lilla told me at Starbucks to come and find her and her friends so we could go out to lunch, in the midst of us working out some sort of timeline of how this works out. When I walk in, eyes focus in on me, and I hold back a what are you looking at? remark that I know Lilla would get on me about later.

In the crowd, I find her lean frame sitting at a table, surrounded by Piper, Gavin, some other of her friends, the ones who aren't assholes.

"Oakland," I hear a shocked voice say. Looking to my right, it's Cannon. Cannon Davis.

Good ol' Fireball had been one of my closest friends since we met in second grade. We got into sports together, we got into girls together, and were connected at hip.

And then, Joey happened.

Cannon came over to my house every day after that night, only to come and talk to my door; since I had holed myself up in my room.

I was stubborn and upset. I cut him out, I cut them all out. It felt right at the time, but it only doomed me to be more lonely.

Until Lilla Harris came into the picture.

"Hey, Davis," I say, a little uneasy.

"Jason!" A feminine voice exclaims. Turning to my left, I see Lilla's joyful face smiling at my day, and I feel instantly better.

This is so weird. People don't normally cheer me up.

"Hey, Lilla." I give a shy reply back. She then bounces out of her chair, grabbing her things.

"Y'all ready?" She asks. Then she brings her attention to me again. "Jason, you'll ride with me, we're heading to The Barn."

The Barn is a local restaurant, barely a 10 minute walk from campus and a 2 minute drive. Everyone gets up and grabs their backpacks, walking as a clump to exit the cafeteria.

"Is Maxwell coming?" Patrick asks. My face twists in confusion.

"Who is Maxwell?" I pipe. Everyone looks at me, and then look at Lilla.

"You didn't tell him?" Piper directs at Lilla. She sounds concerned, and on the brink of anger.

"Pip, it's not important." Then she gets closer to Piper, and lowers her voice. "The school doesn't know about Maxwell, and he knows I want to do this with Jason. So we're fine."

"Who is Maxwell?" I demand.

"Lil's boyfriend," Peyton sighs.

"More like fuck buddy," E.J. snickers.

"He is not my boyfriend or my fuck buddy, you pricks," she snaps. Then, her eyes return to me. "I'll explain in the car. Let's go." She aggressively stomps past us and the guys sigh in defeat, Piper, Vince , Gavin and Patrick running out after her. I assume I'm supposed to follow, so I do, all the way to her car.