-Chapter 26-

Achieving Unbroken
Chapter Twenty Six

"I never knew anyone 'till I knew you,
I never knew anyone 'till I knew you;
And I know, when it rains, oh, it pours,
Yeah I know I was born to be yours"
Born To Be Yours | Imagine Dragons + Kygo

Lilla
[Thursday, June 10th, 2018]

"So," Jason starts as soon as he slides into the seat next to me during sixth period history. We recently started sitting next to each other in the class, him moving next to me instead of brooding in the corner. While I am not a history buff, our teacher is fabulous and having Jason next to me during class makes it all the more enjoyable.

"Yes?" I hum, turning my head to rest in my hand, propped up on the desk. Jason slightly tilts his head to match the angle that mine is at, and I have to fight the strong urge to give him a wide, dorky smile. In favor, I give him a sleepy grin, big enough to make my eyes crinkle.

School is exhausting, no matter how close to the end of the year we are.

"I have a proposal." He pauses again. "Well, Penny and Dad have a proposal. But I am not opposed to it." His gaze shifts around to anywhere but me, and a soft laugh leaves my lips.

"You're so nervous. Did you forget the ring at home?" I kid around. It doesn't seem to put him at ease. "Seriously, Jace. What's up?" Hopefully the nickname helps.

"Dad and Penny would like to have you over for dinner this Saturday night," he blurts. I lift my head from my hand and give him a wide smile. But before I can tell him that that's great, he continues. "Mom and Mama want to have you over for dinner, too. But Mom is trying to wrap up some work stuff right now before summer, so when summer starts they want you over immediately."

"Ooh, meeting the parents? I didn't know you guys were there yet," our history teacher, Mr. Rydell, butts in. Both Jace and I choose to ignore his humorous comment, and focus back in on each other. "By the way, as sweet as this conversation is, don't forget about your Civil War questionnaire."

Thanks to the reminder, we fill in a couple answers while we talk.

"Jason, that's awesome. I would love to come to your dad's for dinner! I just have to talk to my dad, I'm going to be with him this Saturday but as far as I am concerned, he hasn't made any dinner plans. What time to I need to be over?"

Jason reels back, almost as if he thought it wouldn't be this simple. It takes him a moment to comprehend my enthusiasm before he responds to me.

"Six? Is that cool?" I nod.

"Yeah, I'll check with my dad."

With stealth and precision, I slip my phone out of my purse and type out a quick message to my father before directing my attention to the class work.

Me: That guy that I was telling you about, Jason, invited me to dinner at his dad's this Saturday at six! Clear to go?

A response comes in not long after I send the message.

Dad: Of course! But I just have one request — I would like to meet him.