-Chapter 10-

Achieving Unbroken
Chapter Ten

"It doesn't really hurt, but it always takes me back to 16,
In your basement, and your parents, my feelings;
I never got over it"
Matches | Cash Cash + Rozes

Lilla
[Wednesday, May 17th, 2018]

When I pull up in front of Mr. Oakland's house, I feel my stomach sink. I haven't been here in over a year, and while everything looks the same, it's going to be different. I know it.

The bottoms of my wedges slap against the cement walkway as I mosey up to the front door, and I feel my body shake with each step. I don't know why I'm so nervous, it's not like I'm having a dinner here, complete with conversation and everything.

But anyone could answer the door.

I doubt his family is up this early.

Penny is a nurse, she works an early shift.

She won't answer the door. Calm the hell down.

Sometime during my internal debate, I must have gotten the balls to knock, because I hear footsteps approaching the door.

Enter Penelope Oakland; 41 years old, 5'4", and an incredibly talented chef.

Right now, she looks as if she's seen a ghost.

"Lilla," she mumbles, and all my idiotic self can manage is a small grin.

"Hi, Mrs. Oakland," I reply. If this were last year, I would have called her Penelope. Most people call her Penny, but I loved her full name. It was so fun to say.

But it isn't last year anymore. So much can change in a year. Too much.

She doesn't correct me, either. She lets the Mrs. Oakland go. I watch her swallow the alteration down in a large, nervous gulp.

"How- how are you, Sweetheart? What're you doing in the neighborhood?"

"I'm good. It's been awhile," I attempt, but I just get a small nod. "Me and Jason are hanging out today, actually. I thought I'd drive him to school."

"Oh," she nods. Her eyes are distant. This is strange. "I didn't realize you guys were hanging out."

"It's a recent development," I spit out. "But it's been really nice."

Silence.

"How are you? How's Carl? Is he still crazy smart?" Carl was a good kid. I wonder if he missed me.

She gets cut off before she can even form a sentence.

"Lilla!"

I look over Penelope's shoulder and see Jason perched on the staircase, backpack slung over his shoulders, brow furrowed in confusion.