Chapter 5: Lies, Lies, And... Leo?

For those of you who don't know this, I have decided to change Evelina's cast from Hailee Steinfeld to Crystal Reed. But you're welcome to envision anyone you like.

Point out my errors. Vote, comment, and enjoy!

 Vote, comment, and enjoy!

——————————————————

          "Beautiful." Verona's thick Italian accent tickled my ears with sharp claws as she stepped forward and eyed the locket around my neck. Her fingers began exploring the ornament themselves, rubbing over the intricate cuts and lining out my name engraved into it. "Rhodium is a rare metal." She weighed the locket on the tip of her fingers while I stared at her rather astounded. "Every little detail must have been etched by hand. This is definitely close to sixty thousand dollars, no?" A soft giggle left her lips, her blue eyes looking at me with a bright smile. "Whoever made it for you must love you very much."

"Certainly," Athena added to her statement with a smug smirk plastered on her face. "Verona has a good eye for jewelry," she praised the woman who was supposed to be dead, but was very much alive and vibrant as ever.

"," Verona flashed a sweet smile. "My mother was a jeweler. So, I think I get it from her."

My throat was parched with betrayal that clawed my insides brutally, making my heart bleed. That's all I could feel raging at the pit of my stomach. All the memories, all the promises he made to me. The promise to marry me. All lies. Nothing but filthy lies. He lied...

Finding my voice in the fiery ashes of my broken heart, I cleared my jammed throat. "Excuse me. I have to use the ladies' room." I turned on my heel and paced out of the ballroom that was suffocating me by spinning. The bright lights constricting and expanding right before my eyes. Blinding like the bright flashes of large cameras.

Entering a wide, empty hallway, I wrestled with my tears, trying to push them back. I couldn't cry. Not over a deceitful bastard who sang those lies so beautifully that I couldn't help but fall hard for him. It meant nothing to him. Nothing at all.

"Is something wrong, Arie?" The fake innocence in Athena's voice rattled my anger even more as my fists clenched.

Turning around, I glared at her, fuming. "You planned all this. To rub Verona in my fucking face?"

"Considering your anger, I believe Leo told you about Verona before Astor fed us lies." She crossed her arms below her breasts, nonchalantly sauntering closer. "Leo never talked about Verona and he opened up to you regarding her. You think a man like him would make up such a lie and shove it in your face?"