Chapter 7: Royalty

Long chapter, but I wrote it in two days. Hurray to me because I wanted to get this out before I drown in exams. And I hate it. Thank you so much for the 6k on this book already. I love you all so much.

Vote, comment, share, and enjoy! Point out my errors too.

-------------------------------------

(Arie's POV)

The sun was bright enough to burn my retinas and blind me for good, but the clouds below were just too mesmerizing not to be admired. I lowered the window shade and looked away at the energized bodies hustling down the aisle of the second floor. From what Soph told me, we were to land in Italy in about an hour after I puked for the seventh time being on this airplane.

"You okay?" Ashton asked as he pulled out his small carry bag from the overhead compartment. "You look really down."

"Air sick," I sighed, uncurling my legs from my chest and sitting straight. "And I just miss home." He hummed to my response and retrieved a football from the bag. "What are you doing?"

"Me and the others are going to play downstairs," he beamed and stuffed his bag back into the compartment.

"Ashton, grow up," I chided, grabbing his wrist. "This isn't a football field, it's a plane. Sit your ass down."

"We aren't playing literal football, and we're on a vacation." He yanked my hold off and smiled cheekily. "Let me have fun if you don't want to."

He strode away, ignoring my yelling whispers and shunning my voice completely. Helplessly, I sat there for another minute or so, watching some of the staff members take trays of food into Leo's little room at the end which pulled me back into the thought of what happened at night. It had been playing in my head like a never-ending Ferris wheel on a loop. Him standing over me, caressing my cheek and smiling while I couldn't help but shed a tear, uttering the word sorry.

Groaning to myself, I held Leo's locket in my sweaty palm before slowly removing it from my neck. The most precious gift dangled from the delicate chain that held the weight up quite brilliantly. I squeezed the promise in my hand and sighed. Getting off my ass, I sauntered down the aisle and then the stairs where my ears picked up on loud laughter and chatter. I braced myself and walked into the frantic mess.

"Don't be stupid. This is no place to play," Athena scolded, crossing her arms below her breasts.

"Arie," Lina chirped up. "Come sit with us."

I smiled meekly. "Yeah, just a second." The unnecessary 'football' match commenced with Ashton and Gus on one team, and Wren and Eros on the other. I didn't know what they were trying to accomplish by throwing the ball at one another in this tight space with no room for bulky idiots to tackle or even move very freely. Basically, they were a bunch of kids running around without parental supervision. The D'Angelo and Bonferroni parents had been a bit distant to say the least. "I hate to admit this, but I agree with Athena. Wait till the plane lands and then start playing in the airport for all I care."

"Bossy Sirena," Augustus winked at me with a sly smirk tugging on his lips. "I like it."

Snorting, I continued my trek to the seat where I last left my purse. My conscience screamed at me the most degrading slurs for wearing a promise that everyone knew could never be fulfilled. And the promise being admired by the man's wife was just a filthy cherry on top and a shameful slap to my face.

I dragged my purse across the seat and slid the zipper open. My eyes fanned over the locket one last time. Until my conscience would allow me to wear it again, it was going to stay buried in my jewelry box with my mother's locket that Aunt Wendy gave me on my twenty-first birthday, also known as the worst day of my life that literally started the chain reaction of the most unfortunate events.