Chapter 9: Loving Hurts

I posted a chapter yesterday. If you haven't read chapter 8, go read it right now before you read this one.

Enjoy this chapter and point out my mistakes. ❤️

——————————————————————

(Leo's POV)

          I entered the room and slowly closed the door behind me, making sure I didn't wake Verona up. After one drink, I decided to leave the stupid party where I couldn't stop thinking about Arie. I tried to bury her deep when Verona came back, but I just couldn't. My wretched heart wouldn't allow me. She was always at the back of my mind, projecting possibilities of what could've happened if she never left; how different our lives would have been.

Not a day went by when I didn't think about her. Her enchanting beauty, her intoxicating laugh, her voice, her soft, velvety skin that I loved touching and kissing. The way she'd speak her mind against what she thought was wrong without regard to the person, whoever they may be or how much power they held. Her smart mouth and childish ways at times always pulled at my heartstrings. Now that she was so close to me in the same place, she was stuck, engraved deeply in my mind and I couldn't seem to brush her off for even a second. She kept running all over my head without rest.

          Sitting at the edge of my enormous bed and reaching inside my suit pocket, I pulled out Arie's locket that Rome found on the plane. My thumb brushed over the engraving of her name that was disguised by vines and flowers on the heart-shaped metallic ornament. A little smile emerged on my face thinking about the thing that was tucked inside. The key to it was still in a safe place. I didn't know why I was saving it considering I would never get the chance to use it, but I didn't have the heart to just chuck it away.

          When I heard she completely disappeared from Queens, I had to refrain from using the tracker in her locket and finding out where she was. She didn't want to be found and I respected her choice, even if it was of leaving me. I always respected her and I always would, no matter how much it'd hurt me.

          "Leo," I heard Verona whisper from behind me.

          I immediately shoved the locket back into my pocket and turned around to find Verona still laying, facing the other way. "Hey." I leaned over and kissed her shoulder. "I didn't mean to wake you up."

          She sighed and sat up straight against the headboard, tucking a strand of her black hair behind her ear. "I couldn't sleep."

"Is something wrong?" I cupped her face and gave her my full attention. "Sweetheart, tell me."

She smiled meekly, but her eyes only flashed sadness. "Three months."

I frowned and let out a breath. "I'm sorry," I apologized. "Everything has just been very busy."

"You barely come home now unlike before," she whispered, her voice brittle and on the verge of cracking.

"A lot happened after you were gone," I swallowed hard and loosened the tie around my neck, pitching it to the floor. "The workload has increased after I bought the Zadlo Enterprises. Meetings after meetings to reshape..."

          "Are you sleeping with other women?" She blurted out the question, forcing my head to turn in her direction. A tear fell down her cheek as her lips quivered. "It's okay if you are."

          "Gesù Cristo, Verona! It's not okay." I frowned at the fact that my absence made her think something so disgusting. "Do you think that low of me?"