Chapter 12: Dinner With The Devil

IMPORTANT: If you don't see what day it is at the top, then it means that it's the continuation of the same day that we left off on in the previous chapter. Just wanted to point that out. And enjoy this chapter and please do point out my mistakes.

———————————————————

          My feet glued themselves to the nice polished floor as Marsilia's blue, brooding eyes bore holes in me with a mere look. My knees were falling weak the more I held her gaze. It was as if she silently dared me to move another inch toward the exit and defy her which would prompt her to pick up a plate and throw it at me like a frisbee to slice my head off. Completely unrealistic, but damn, she had the stare of a fierce tigress, making me feel like nothing more than a helpless bunny that'd be ripped to shreds by such vicious predators.

          Forcing my eyes away from hers, I finally peered around the longest table I had ever seen and saw faces that I didn't recognize. But nonetheless, they all seemed predatory and ferocious with their heads held high in pride and ego that I was pretty sure all these narcissistic people flourished on. The women looked at me with narrowed eyes as if I was a lone wolf trying to infiltrate their pack, and the men gazed at me in utter amusement with a glint of wonder shimmering in their eyes.

 The women looked at me with narrowed eyes as if I was a lone wolf trying to infiltrate their pack, and the men gazed at me in utter amusement with a glint of wonder shimmering in their eyes

(Imagine the hall to be bigger)

          I continued feeling like a mere pauper among all these people who weren't afraid to stare at me as if I were a zoo animal. The two heads of the table were occupied with Marsilia on the end away from where I stood and Federigo on the one closer to me. Although it felt like I was standing there for hours, it had only been a couple seconds since Marsilia asked me to sit and eat with them. Leo walked back to his seat, sitting down next to his wife and father while I stood still waiting for the ground to swallow me whole.

          Just in time, my savior came to my rescue like a sassy angel in sweatpants. "I told you to wait, not go in and stare at everyone." Lina walked up next to me and rolled her eyes as her arm hooked around mine. 

          "Thank you," I mumbled under my breath. "I thought I was going to die."

          "I won't let that happen so soon," Lina giggled, taking me further into the room toward the empty seats, but stopping right before we could sit. She placed her hands on my shoulders and showed me off like the latest toy in the market. "Everyone, meet Arie Noelle. And Arie, meet everyone. I don't have the patience to introduce so many people right now, so I'm not doing it. They'll probably introduce themselves to you later." She released me to pat Ashton's arm. "You all already met Ashton at the party last night, so no introductions required for him."

          "Party?" Marsilia cocked her perfect brow at her granddaughter.

          "Oops!" Lina covered her mouth sarcastically while dragging out her chair. "Sorry. We forgot to invite you, nonna." Lina grinned wider in response to Marsilia's glare. "I'm kidding. We did not have a party without your permission. Relax."