Chapter 6

AMELIA POV

"Y-your what?" I stutter.

"My fiancé." He says casually.

"I don't think I heard you correctly." I laugh nervously.

"You need to pretend to be my fiancé so that I can secure a deal with the Italian company," he said slowly and clearly.

"What about the Japanese one?" I asked, hoping there was a way out of this.

"They found a different company to collaborate with," he said, shattering my little hope. "And the Italian company will not give me a contract if I'm a bachelor so I told them I'm engaged. They believe that me 'sleeping around' is not a good thing and it will rub off in a negative way for their company."

"They're not wrong." I snort and he shoots me a deadly glare.

I get back on topic "Why me sir? I'm sure there are plenty of women who would jump at the chance of being your fiancé." I reason

"I trust you to keep this completely professional," he said.

"Ugh, fine I'll be your fiancé, just for tonight though," I say sternly. He nods.

How bad could it be?

The rest of the drive was in silence. After about 20 minutes Xavier parked the car in a private parking where there were many other expensive cars.

"Here," Xavier breaks the silence, he hands me a ring. I gasped at how beautiful it was. It was a thin platinum band lined with diamonds and in the middle sat a large square diamond.

"Oh my god..." I breathed out "I can't take this, it must have been very expensive. Couldn't you get a smaller, simpler ring?" I said.

"You have to look the part, Lia" He simply shrugs. I slip it onto my ring finger and we begin walking into the venue.

I don't know why but I liked it when he called me Lia, despite it being the more more obvious nickname for me no one called me Lia.

When we arrive at the entrance, a doorman opens the huge double doors for us. We walk into a large room with marble floor and huge chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. There were waiters scattered everywhere with champagne flutes and snacks on the trays in their hands.

As we walk in I see many famous businessmen from all over the globe. I looked around, knowing that this is what I wanted for my own future. I wanted to stand in that room as a successful businesswoman, not as a 'fiance' for a man.

Xavier notices a man walking toward us, "This is the Australian company's CEO," he whispers in my ear, his minty breath made me freeze so I just nodded. Without any warning, he takes my hand into his.

"Good evening Mr King." the man says in an Australian accent.

"Mr Walker," he greets, "This is my fiance, Lia" he introduced me to Mr Walker, who was looking at me in a weird way as if he was checking me out.

I'm guessing that Xavier saw it too as he snaked his arm around my waist and pulled me closer. Mr Walker's eyes shifted back to Xavier and they continued talking.

Throughout the night we met with many business moguls and I was introduced over and over. Luckily, no one paid much attention to me and just talked to Xavier about work.

Soon, Xavier and I were alone when he started talking. "Over there is the richest and most successful business man, Mr Russo, he's the Italian company's CEO. " he looked at an older guy, maybe 50 years old. "If I want any success with him we're gonna have to really sell this fiancé thing."