Chapter 48

AMELIA POV

The interior of the hotel is even more decadent than the outside. The red carpet rolled in to black tiles covering the ground. Large square tables for 4 were scattered across the place with place-cards to signal who should sit where.

Mrs King

I sat down where it said my name, next to Xavier and opposite another billionaire and socialite.

The tables were set in a way that 2 business owners can discuss deals and partnerships with otherwise unlikely partners.

Since Xavier was the chairman, I knew he paired himself up with exactly who he wanted.

Opposite us sat Mr and Mrs Hernandez of Hernandez and Co - one of the biggest electronic products companies in the world.

As the two men are chatting away, I glance around the venue. The quiet chatter of the wealthiest was slowly drowned out by the large orchestra playing classics.

I wasn't in the mood for talking, Mrs Hernandez was too busy continually looking at herself in her compact mirror, reapplying lipstick and perfume.

The event was less of a business meeting, like I thought it would be, and more of a ball.

Soon enough the business portion of the event was over and all the dinners were soon served. Round porcelain plates with mouthwatering dishes were served with expensive wines and champagnes. I ate quietly, making small talk with the couple only when I had to.

"Can we call all the couples to the floor," an older man spoke into his microphone. The Hernandezs' gave us a goodbye smile as they happily walked to the dance floor, which quickly got crowded by all the couples.

"I'm not dancing." I turn my head and whisper over Xavier's shoulder, before he could even ask me to.

"I don't think you have much of a choice Amelia." He sighs.

When I turn my head back round, the man on the microphone is standing at our table. He's conventionally handsome, with specks of grey in his otherwise brown hair and the shadow of wrinkles around his eyes.

"Well, we can't have the chairman not dancing," he laughs to himself.

Xavier puts his hand out for me to take. He's standing and I look up at his eyes, full of pain but he blinks it away.

I put my lace gloved hand into his. He swiftly walks to the floor, me following him. The other couples respectfully move out of the way so that we're in the centre of the floor.

He lets go of my hand, his fingers trail up my wrist and arm. I inhale a deep breath, my eyes close at his touch. He slowly, excruciatingly drags his hand down my side, before placing it on my hip.

His other hand caresses my face and trickles down my neck before resting on my shoulder.

He's teasing me, painfully.

I pull my ring finger, my wedding band glittering in the spotlight, across his sharp jawline. I feel his jaw tighten at my touch.

I graze my finger across his bottom lip, and it's his turn to close his eyes. I gently drag my nail down his neck before settling my hand on his shoulder.