Chapter 20

AMELIA POV

Xavier and I sat down at a table in the bakery getting ready to try some cakes for the wedding. It wasn't those cute cosy bakeries that I was used going to, this was large and mostly made of glass with baby pink and white accents.

In front of us were a selection of cakes lined up to be tasted and I already knew which one caught my eye, a red velvet cake with white cream frosting.

"I'm going to have to hit the gym after today," Xavier mutters and I just roll my eyes.

Every single slice of cake that we tasted Xavier only took one or two bites whilst I finished the rest of the slice - they were all so good but I knew which one I wanted.

"I'll give you guys some time to decide." The baker says.

"Any idea?" Xavier asks.

"I know which one I want do you?" I say.

"I don't really care, this wedding is just for the paparazzi and families." He says.

"In that case, I want the red velvet one." I say "it's my mum's favourite." I smile at the memory.

"She'll be happy when she sees it at the wedding then." Xavier comments. 

"Oh...she's not going to be there," I say quietly.

"Why not?"

"She died when I was 18." My voice was low.

His face hardened upon hearing that and he quietly excused himself.

After we were done with the cake tasting we went back to the office, we had one final meeting before we were free to only focus on the wedding.

"Alright this meeting with Mr Russo is incredibly important Lia, we are going to talk about me getting the American section of his company." He says sternly.

"Why do you need me there?" I ask.

"I think being my fiancé has made you forget you're also my assistant." He said rudely.

"I just asked what I need to do, why are you being rude?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Just take notes on what he says and then we need to invite him to the wedding." He says bitterly.

"You haven't invited him yet, the wedding is literally in 6 days." I reply, exasperated.

He just shrugs and leaves the office to go to the conference room, I can't do anything but follow.

"...here's a copy of the contract that says you will gain ownership of all my business in America and I will sign it after your marriage ceremony." Mr Russo says handing Xavier a piece of paper.

"Speaking of weddings..." Xavier and shoots me a look.

"We're getting married on Sunday!" I say, faking excitement.

Mr Russo's face lights up. And he has a huge smile on his face which only widens when Xavier hands him an invitation.

"I'm so happy for you two," He says, his eyes tearing up. I felt a little bad that all this happiness will end in a year when we get divorced. He gives both of us a hug and RSVP'd yes on the invitation straight away.