Chapter One

Her phone rang, she ignored it

Her phone rang, she ignored it. She was so sure who it'll be, only one person could call her at this early hour. She had fallen asleep after subh prayer, right there on her prayer mat and she had no intention of letting anything interrupt her sleep, not even a call from her friend. The phone rang again and she inhaled deeply.

What could a person do in this life to deserve a good morning sleep? She thought as she let the rays of sunlight coming through her window caress her face. Meanwhile the phone kept ringing and she knew her friend was no one to give up, she stretched as she picked up the phone.

"Hey" she muttered lazily

"Hey" her voice was mocked on the other side of the line, and she felt the sarcasm.

"Amal Sidi Alkasim, you are not getting the best friend award this year" her friend spluttered.

It was evident she had done something wrong and she needed to figure it out herself and soon, she thought. When ever Samira calls her name in full, she knew it was trouble and that's the last thing she needed.

"Today is my birthday" Samira said whilst Amal was still thinking about what it might be.
She sat abruptly, eyes wide open and covered her mouth with her other hand. She had forgotten today was her best friend's birthday, she knew why she'd forgotten, to her birthdays were like oh-oh-another-one-year-closer-to-death and shouldn't even be celebrated but her friend saw it from a different perspective and she was in no way going to ruin Samira's day by allowing her believe she did actually forgot.

Also Samira had been so excited about turning twenty two even though Amal kept repeating to her like a song that twenty two was no different than any other age. Amal knew this because she was older, she had just turned twenty three.

"Of course I know it's ur birthday" she lied.

"Oh yeah"

"Yeah"

"So u remembered, but somehow u didn't send me any good wishes" she cut in

"I wanted to wish you in person and....and I was out of credit" she almost stammered.

"Hmmmm" Samira sounded sullen, she knew undoubtedly that Amal was lying and also she was doing so bad at it.
"Hmmm?"

"I know u forgot but we can do this all day"

"Ok fine, I did forget but u know with everything that's been going on someone might even forget their name" she had to confess and Samira wondered what exactly had been going on.
Nothing was going on.

"I'm sorry" Amal added using her charming voice, she knew samira will fall for that voice, she always did but she remained silent

"Are you there?"
"Uhummm"

"Ok don't be like this now" Amal begged "fine I'll do anything you wish today to show you how sorry i am" and at the sound of that samira revived

"Anything?" She wanted to be sure