Chapter Eleven

Wedding preparations was in full velocity

Wedding preparations was in full velocity. Kamal's kinsmen had by now presented themselves: asked of Amal's hand in marriage. They were accepted ceremoniously.

Kamal and Amal were engaged and their marriage arrangements was going on according to islamic and hausa traditional rites.

Amal had chosen her best friend Samira and her sisters to be her bridesmaids. So far they were doing a good job on that, actually they were doing all the job on the wedding: the dresses, the invitations, the rehearsals, the shopping among others: Amal couldn't ask for better bridesmaids.

Kamal's best man was his brother Mukhtar whom somehow also happened to be his best friend.

About Mukhtar: Mukhtar was Kamal's favorite person and confidant: and being only a year younger than Kamal, they were the best of friends and had the same circle of friends.

    On this day, Kamal was having dinner with his brother and friends, they had joked about how they were going to continue enjoying the single life while he was to be married. Kamal had laughed it off, if any of them had an Amal, they would be getting married too in a heartbeat.
Moreover Kamal was tired of meaningless relationships.
In a fortnight he was getting married to the most amazing woman in the world.
Nothing could beat that: Nothing at all.

He smiled as he marvels at his blessings.

Kamal glanced at his wrist watch, it was past five. There was somewhere he needed to be. Picking up his car keys from the table, he said goodbye to his friends and went out.
He drove to Amal's house.

   Amal was in a foul mood since she came back from the hospital in the afternoon. She had went in for screening and tests. Tomorrow the tests will be out and she'll know if she won't be worrying anytime soon or if the reverse would be the case.
Why was she angry and bitter when she was supposed to be appealing to God for sustenance.

On spur of moment, she heard Kamal's voice greeting Abba outside the house and she pranced out of her bed; joyous. She get a grasp of her veil and charged out of her room, she could use Kamal's presence right now. But remembering her lady proprieties she slowly walked back and sat on the edge of her bed. She was supposed to wait for Kamal to send for her.

Who on earth invented this protocol? She wondered. She would wait: so, peevishly she waited.

   Before long, Maryam came in: she announced to Amal, Kamal's presence.
As though she wasn't at all gladdened, Amal dismissed her with a nod. She spent a couple of minutes: still as 'supposed', before she went to meet him.

She met him in the sitting room. He looked up from his phone when she greeted salaam. He smiled as he returned her greetings.

"You kept me waiting" Kamal commented.