Chapter Thirty Eight

Dr Salma chose the early morning to inform Kamal of his wife's wish to sign a DNR

"A DNR?" Kamal uttered in surprise.

"Yes Kamal, it means 'Do Not...." Aunty Salma tried to explain but Kamal cut her mid sentence.

"I know what a DNR is Aunty" he interjected.

"Oh! Good"

"What I don't know is 'Why'?" Kamal said, he sighed sadly "why would Amal want to sign a DNR?"

"Kamal..." his aunt called, "pretending not to know why, wouldn't change the situation. Amal had fought all she could..."

Kamal gave her a disbelieving look, Dr Salma continued
"I am not saying I approve of her decision to sign a DNR... but if that's what she want then I feel we should all...."

"Support her?" Kamal concluded

"I was going to say respect her decision, but yes support her will do too"

"We are here because I supported her and respected her decisions"

"We don't know that for sure Kamal"

"This isn't right Aunty" Kamal shook his head hurtfully "I love her"

"I'm sorry Kamal"

"I don't know how to accept this" He said.

"Kamal..."

"I always thought that no matter what, she would fight and bounce back...to me. I can't..." Kamal broke into tears and his aunt consoled him.
She talked to him for almost an hour until she thought he was composed enough to go see Amal, only then did he leave her office.

     Kamal sighed heavily before turning the door knob of room 17. He peeped inside first, Amal was on her bed, she smiled at him.

"Hey handsome, come in now will you" She invited but Kamal stood by the door, still. 

"Seriously you're just going to stand by the door and sulk?" Amal prodded when Kamal still stood silently "Kamal".

He came in then and his rant was unbearable.
"Please don't leave me Amal please, I swear I won't know what to do without you, life will be meaningless, living will be torture without you. Wallahi Amal I don't want to live without you. Stay, for me, don't leave me alone with our daughter, I need you, we all need you Amal. Please" Kamal cried.

"Aunty Salma told you, I presume. It is ok Kamal..."

"No it's not" Kamal yelled "non of this is"

"Kamal..." Amal's voice was so soothing but not to Kamal.

"No I don't accept this" he almost shouted, then he stopped and breath slowly trying to calm himself but there was no calm in his mind right then, just rage: anger, at life itself and everything else. He dropped to his knees "You can't stop fighting now, please Amal you can't. You can't sign a DNR" he begged.