Chapter Eighteen

For brief seconds, there was an uncomfortable silence in the room

For brief seconds, there was an uncomfortable silence in the room. That was some news his aunt had just delivered, Kamal thought: and what was worst was that he was there, sitting right besides Amal and he had no idea whatsoever on what to do.

What do people do when their aunt who also happens to be their wife's doctor just announced that their wife's cancer was back. Kamal had no idea, he was soon to find out though for he knew he had to do something right then or at least he had to say something.

Amal sat there, her hand which was still embedded in Kamal's was beginning to sweat but that was the least of her problems.
The moment right then was a dèjá vu, she couldn't think of anything else but pain. Flashbacks of the pain she had gone through not even a year ago came back like a sad scrapbook: Cancer, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, her hair had just started to shine again, she was even adding on weight. Oh God! she thought, she can't go through that again, she can't handle the pain, she can't bear to not be beautiful again: at least then she had no reason to be beautiful, now she does: Kamal. She has a husband and she can't afford cancer and the baggage the comes with it.

What if this was it? No, and what if this was it. What if she didn't survive this like the first time? She can't die now, not when she was loving every bit of being alive. No not now, she can't die just yet.

Ok Amal, she thought. Don't think now, don't think. She closed her eyes and breathed in, then she opened them slowly.

"Amal, Amal" Kamal had been calling her name since but she was absent minded
"Are you ok love" He asked.
Amal smiled, she nodded and Dr Salma gave her a concern look, this can't be good, the doctor thought to herself. She started to state to Amal her options but Amal stopped her right there.

"Aunty i know i have to come back here on admission, i have done this before but please can all this wait till after Ramadan? It's seven or eight days till it's over".

Kamal looked at his wife
"Amal, if you are sick then you need to get admitted right away".

"Kamal, please" She implored and she reached Dr Salma with her eyes "please" she pleaded with her and the doctor nodded.

"Ok Amal, take the time you need but the earlier to this the better"

"I know aunty, thank you" Amal said as she rose from her sit "shall we go now Kamal?" She asked and started to walk out of the office. She was out before even Kamal finished processing what was going on.

"Why is she not reacting? Why is she calm" He queried his aunt loudly in the turviness of his mind.

Dr Salma shook her head in dismay
"She is in denial, trying to block it out. Wait for it Kamal, acceptance is usually ugly" she professed with professional familiarity.

"What am I supposed to do then" Kamal asked lost

"You will figure it out dear Kamal, you will" Dr Salma's confidence in her nephew was encouraging on his part. Kamal nodded and rushed out of the office with a heavy heart.