Chapter Twenty Two

"Salam alaikum" Mami's assuasive voice greeted from the other side of the line

"Wa alaikum salam" Amal greeted back "Good afternoon Mami"

"Good afternoon my daughter, how are u and how are you feeling now?"

"I'm better now Mami, thank you. How is Baba and everyone at the house?"

"Alhamdulillah, everyone is fine"

"MashaAllah" Amal said then she hesitated a bit "Mami" she called and Mami did not miss the hesitation in her voice.

"Yes, what is it Amal. Is something wrong?"

"Everything is fine Mami, It's just Kamal"

"SubhaAllah" Mami lamented "what did he do?". This wasn't the first time Kamal had been reported to Mami but this was the first time his wife had called regarding him. She listened.

"Mami" Amal began "Kamal refused to go back to work. This morning the office send a message asking him to return on Monday or to quit. He is quitting his job"

"What?" Mami's voice was all surprise "All this while Kamal isn't going to the office?"

"No Mami, he isn't"

"SubhaAllah" Mami let out a big sigh "where is Kamal?" She asked

"He went to the masjid" Amal replied

"Ok dear, I will ask him to come and see me after juma'a prayers. I will talk to him then, you don't worry now my daughter. I shall talk to him" Mami assured and Amal smiled to herself.

"Thank you Mami" she let known her appreciation. They said their good byes and the phone went dead.

Amal sighed a relive, then she stood hurriedly and went to the kitchen. If Mami was going to talk to Kamal, no doubt he would know she was the one who told him out. She needed to execute ways to make it up to Kamal and cooking his favorite meal was the first way to go.

Kamal was on his way back to the house from the masjid when Mami called him and asked to see him. He turned the steering wheel to the direction of Mami's house.

"Salaam alaikum" Kamal said as he entered the royally decorated palour. Mami was sitting on the cushion, remote in hand: she was watching a program on sunna tv. She raised her eyes to see Kamal.

"Ha'a Kamal, it's you" she said smiling "welcome"

"Mami barka da yamma" he greeted and then he sat on the floor beside the chair sitting

"Barka dai Kamal" Mami returned "How is Amal?"

"She is better Mami, Alhamdulillah" Kamal replied, he still had no idea why Mami had summoned him.