Chapter Twenty Five

She stood frozen, the positive pregnancy test still clutched in the palm of her hand. Amal, she thought, don't panic, don't panic: but she was already panicking, she started to pace around the room. Pregnancy kits have a reasonable failure rate, she lectured herself: this could be one of the failures, it could be a false positive. Besides she can't get pregnant, she's on contraceptives.

All attempt to console herself and to tell herself that she couldn't be pregnant went to no avail. She sighed heavily and sort out her veil, hurriedly she walked the short distance to a nearby pharmacy and bought another pregnancy kit: in fact, she bought three.

Amal almost ran to the bathroom as soon as she came home to redo the test. She did the first and waited anxiously, and when it showed positive, Amal gaped: her jaw dropped. She did another and still it came positive. Now she held the last one, which was also the fourth pregnancy that day: she caressed it while she waited for the strip to show.

She dropped on the bathroom floor when the last one showed a positive test. There can't possibly be a false positive on four different tests: what are the odds? Amal thought. She didn't know if she was supposed to be happy or sad but she know can't be pregnant: she was not supposed to get pregnant. How would she begin to explain this to Kamal? She began to tremble and her breathing was labored, she felt nauseous: sick.
Slowly she conveyed herself to the toilet seat and began to throw up, she felt dizzy afterwards: Amal debated if her dizziness was from the pregnancy or from her apprehension, she settled on both.

She needed a shower, if not for anything: to think, she resolved as she undressed. She stepped in the shower and let the warm water pour on her skin, but she wasn't doing any thinking, she couldn't even think. What was there to even think about? If she turned out to be really pregnant then that it.
Pregnancy? She laughed out loud. Gently, she touched her lower abdomen and her heart swelled in abundant affection. She smiled, she was happy: so happy that tears of joy started to roll down her cheeks, she laughed in her tears. Then she remembered Kamal: will Kamal be happy too? That, she had no idea, quickly the smile on her face faded.

    To avert her mind from unnecessary thinking while she waited for Kamal's return from work, Amal indulged in cooking.
She almost fidgeted out of her skin when she heard his car drove in the gate. She exhaled deeply in an attempt to calm her wild nerves. Kamal sensed something a miss as soon as his wife welcomed him.

"Are you ok?" He had asked and Amal had laughed awkwardly and said she was fine.

"Do you want to eat or shower first?" Amal enquired with great care.

"Why are you extra nice to me, Amal what did you do?"

"What?" She asked feigning surprise "I ask you that everyday when you get back from work" she defended

"Yeah you do" Kamal agreed "but there's something you are hiding, yes? See, your eyes are bigger, they gave you away"

"Are you going to eat or shower?" Amal asked again, she won't let Kamal play his manipulation game on her today.

"I'll shower first" Kamal replied Smiling "will you join me?"

"No" Amal replied in haste then she restored her composure "I'll set the table while you shower"

Kamal's eyes narrowed, what was it that Amal could be hiding? Why was she so uneasy: were the questions that kept raving his mind. What ever it was, he thought, with that amount of restlessness: Amal won't keep it long a secret. He will wait.

"Ok" Kamal said, he kissed Amal lightly on the lips and walked to the bedroom without another word. Amal sighed and slumped on the sofa.

As much as Kamal hated eating alone without his wife, he had to because Amal's stomach was so unsettled, she couldn't eat a bite. When he was finished eating, he met her in their bedroom, pacing in the space.