Chapter Twelve

"What?" Kamal asked taking a step back away from her

"What?" Her sisters chorused, looking stunned at each other.

Impeccable timing: Umma was just on time, she entered the sitting room to hear Amal's announcement. She stopped dead in her tracks.

"Amal" she almost yelled and everyone turned to see her

"Umma" Amal begged "i'm so sorry but i can't do this" she began to muster tears.

Umma was crossed, she walked to Amal and she grabbed her by the wrist. She pulled her to her room.
They had alot to talk about, by all means Amal would not have the privilege of sending her to an early grave.

Kamal and the sisters were left standing
"Ok" Husna was the first to talk
"lets all sit down and wait for Umma to talk her back into this, God knows I didn't spend the last few months planning this wedding for nothing" they all regarded her and felt her pain, indeed she had done alot of planning, and to think it will all be squandered.
Oh Lord! What a waste.

"Well since Amal isn't getting married to me now, which of you sisters should i choose? Who's interested in poor broken-hearted Kamal" Kamal joked away his misery, the sisters laughed, he joined them too. They resumed their sits and waited.

In his heart, he was bleeding, dying: screaming silently. What misfortune was about to befall him now.
Amal was definitely going to be the death of him.

God! Amal is something else, he thought

"Tell me about it, this is the person i lived with with all my life" Husna said and Kamal realized he had said that loud, it wasn't in his thoughts.

"She can be stubborn" Hasna chipped in.

"I know right" Kamal agreed

"But still" Husna said "she's the best, I couldn't ask for a better Yaya Amal"

"Oh she is, the very best: she is a handful though" Kamal said and the sisters smiled.

Maryam who had been quiet through their talk, spoke now
"When Yaya Amal announced the wedding was off i was a bit happy" she confessed, they all turned to look at her with questionable eyes.

"Why? Maryam" Hasna asked putting a hand on her sisters arm "why would you be happy she called off her wedding"

Maryam sighed heavily
"I'm so sorry" she apologized to Kamal "I didn't want Yaya Amal to leave, i miss her already. She's my second mother" she sobbed.
Hasna consoled her.

"Here comes the drama queen" Husna sang indistinctly.

Kamal was touched by Maryam's reluctance to let go her sister. What sisterly love, he thought.

"Ok Maryam, its not like she's going away forever. You can visit any time you want" Kamal invited "or better still, we can set up a room for you in our home, how about that?"