Chapter Four

Amal stayed a little longer on her prayer mat after subh prayer, she had just finished her azkhar and felt the need to maintain her position there

She thought about her ongoing exams and supplicated again about it, she'll need all the luck she could get on that.
Then she thought of Kamal, it wasn't her fault: Absence makes the heart grow fonder. She just had to think of him without even trying. Whatever the case, she was going to hear his voice today.

Today? She thought
Its already today, so why not now? 'Dont be silly Amal, its five am' the little voice in her head cautioned. She ignored it: the compulsion was strong, she grabbed her phone.

She called his number.
It rang and she tapped her hand on her lap while she waited anxiously for him to pick up.
He picked up but there was silence, he didn't say a word
"Salam alaikum" Amal greeted. Still he didn't reply immediately.
Kamal was struck by surprise at the possibility of Amal ever calling him. Moreover, at this hour?

"Wa'alaikum salam" he returned "ok am i still sleeping? Or is this in my imagination" he joked and Amal almost laughed out, she smiled to herself.
She had missed his jokes, she had missed him.

"No" she replied "i needed to talk to you"
"At this hour?" He asked and Amal wondered if calling him had been a bad idea.

"You do realize its five in the morning, right?" Kamal inquired. He was just coming back from the mosque. What couldn't wait till morning? The only rationality of Amal calling him right now was if she had murdered someone and needed him to bury the body.
Amal remained silent. She was thinking of hanging up.

She had already called Kamal and that was the silliest thing she has done in a long time, she wasn't about to chicken out, not now.
"You didn't call for more than a week" she addressed

"And?" Kamal encouraged

"And that's it" she said

"Wow!" He exclaimed.

Now Kamal was confused, if his memory served him right, and he was so confident it does, Amal had ask him not to bother her again and he had done exactly what she wanted, yet she calls him at five a.m to complain about him doing what she wanted? Ok he was done trying to understand women. He had had his own fair share of women but this one, this one was complicated.
"Amal" he called calmly

"Uhumm" she waited for him to continue with no idea what to expect

"When you said I shouldn't bother you again, please what exactly did you mean" he wanted clarification.

"I didn't think you were going to take it serious" she sincerely replied

"So what do you want now?" Kamal asked.

It was a trap, he wanted to hear her say it. Oh! How sweet will that be to his ears. He had lived for this day. He waited patiently
She hesitated at first, then she said
"I want things to get back the way they were between us".