Chapter Thirty Three

Kamal stayed in Dr Salma's office and it was past half an hour before the doctor made an entrance

Kamal stayed in Dr Salma's office and it was past half an hour before the doctor made an entrance. She took one look at Kamal, she huffed and shook her head and instead of walking to her chair, she walked straight to the corner that served as a kitchenette to her office. She pulled at the drawers and started to make tea.
She made two cups of tea: cinnamon tea for Kamal and green tea for herself, she proceeded then to the table.

She handed Kamal his tea, Kamal smiled his thanks as he took the saucer from her.

"Earlier was intense" Dr Salma said "this didn't go as we hoped it would".

"No, it didn't" Kamal agreed, he sipped indulgently on his tea.

Dr Salma sat on her chair and for some era of time, there was silence and both just focused on their tea: their minds, a wild sea raging quietly with thoughts.

When they finally put down the tea cups, Kamal was first to speak
"Aunty" he called and Dr Salma raised her eyes to look at him "what should I do?" He asked.

"Hmmm. Kamal, I wish there was an easy answer to that"

"Amal will fight with anyone for this baby, I included. I know her and I know she won't give up"

"You know her well"

"...but does that mean we will just watch her make a suicidal decision as such?"

"What are you implying Kamal"

"Aunty, you have been her doctor even before I married her. There must be another way to this"

"Another way?" Dr Salma didn't get exactly what Kamal was saying and her confusion showed vividly on her face.

Kamal sat straight on his chair, he clasped his hands together
"Aunty, make up something to change her mind, manipulate her if you have to"

"What?" Dr Salma chimed "you are not asking me to..."

"Lie to her? Yes Aunty. Please" Kamal pleaded "Wallahi Amal won't give in, so lie to her. Tell her the chances for her baby's survival is good, or tell her the baby is dead already or anything else. Just make her deliver that baby and commence treatment immediately".

"Oh! Kamal, I can't do that. Amal is my patient, my obligations is with her not you, I took an oath and I owe it to her. I can't lie to her, I'm sorry"

"What about legal?" Kamal wouldn't give up easily too "the court can make her do it, yes"

"The only thing the legal department could do is make someone else her legal proxy..."

"That could do then?"

"No, it is only applicable if she is clinically mentally incapable or in a coma  and we all know Amal is sane and not in a coma"

"Aunty please, I could issue you a subpoena as her doctor to state that Amal  is not capable of making her medical decisions and should be given a legal proxy..."