Chapter Twenty Seven

Kamal did not utter a word, instead he avoided Amal's eyes and glanced at his Aunty's direction, pleading with her with his eyes, for her to do or say something to help him, save him from this situation that was already uncomfortable and fast beco...

Kamal did not utter a word, instead he avoided Amal's eyes and glanced at his Aunty's direction, pleading with her with his eyes, for her to do or say something to help him, save him from this situation that was already uncomfortable and fast becoming awkward.

Dr Salma perceived Kamal's plea but she was not in anyway going to enable her nephew on such mediocrity, she wasn't going to be involved. Slowly she shook her head, she placed a hand on Amal's shoulder

"Are you going to be fine dear?" She asked and Amal mustard a smile

"Yes Aunty, I will be fine InshaAllah" she replied and Dr Salma nodded

"Make sure you open the windows, the smoke isn't good for you and the baby" she said "I'll take my leave now"

"Yes Aunty" Amal said "thank you for the drive"

"Anytime" Dr Salma replied, she wanted to ask Kamal to stop by the hospital the next day to sign the papers but she refrained. Right then she had no wish to address Kamal on any matter, clearly he was in a deep mess already: she will send him a massage later, she made a mental note as she made for the door. Amal escorted her out.

     When she returned to the sitting room, Kamal was on his feet. She made no attempt to look his way, she gathered her shopping and started to walk to the kitchen.
Kamal earnestly made an effort to help her with the goods, she stopped and threw him a dirty look,

"Don't" she stated flatly and Kamal fell out of his endeavor.

"I...didn't know you'll....be discharged today" He stammered looking at her guiltily, Amal ignored him well and walked passed him. Kamal debated whether to follow her or let her be, he decided on the later.

   Amal stormed into the kitchen, she dropped the goods forcefully on the island table. Her heart hurt and she started to sniff and blink back tears of infuriation. Why has Kamal chose to thread this path? Why has he chosen to let himself relapse back to smoking? Were things that bad for him? She felt bad: guilty for whatever Kamal was going through but that pang of guiltiness faded quickly. Kamal wasn't a kid, she thought. She won't let herself feel guilty about how he chose to deal with their problem: No, his problem. She was not going to be responsible for him.

She exhaled deeply and tried to calm down but all she wanted was to go out there and give Kamal a piece of her mind. She stood there in the kitchen, hands akimbo and stared at the foodstuffs she had bought. If she had knew what she was coming home to, she wouldn't have stressed herself to go shopping in the farmers market just to prepare Kamal's favorite food, now what was she expected to do with all the foodstuffs? She thought, she definitely wasn't going to cook for Kamal, that was old news.
On second thought she resolved, she was going to cook all right, just not for Kamal: but first she needed a shower.

She stepped out of the kitchen and passing Kamal in the sitting room, she prayed he wouldn't say a word to her, and when he didn't,  she was grateful. She walked passed him to their bedroom.