Chapter Twenty Nine

She sat on the dining table, her legs crossed as she waited for him to get back

She sat on the dining table, her legs crossed as she waited for him to get back. She glanced at the wall clock, again and again. He should be back any minute from now, she estimated.

"Aha!" She exclaimed when she heard him drove in the house, she waited patiently for him to enter the sitting room.

"Salam alaikum" Kamal's soothing voice announced his presence.

"Wa alaikum salam" Amal answered jovially, she rose from the table and walked towards him "sannu da dawowa" she said as she planted a brisk kiss on his lips. Kamal lingered on her a bit but Amal was quick to get away from him.

"Will you shower or eat first" she asked and the expression on Kamal's face was lost.

"Ahhh" He rubbed on his beard in a confused gesture

"Ok, let's eat first. Besides I am hungry" Amal said, she held his hand in hers, "Come" she added, dragging him towards the table with her.

Kamal had promised Amal he would be back for dinner and here was dinner, but he had eaten at Mami's and it didn't help that he ate to full. He weighed the pros and cons of not eating right then and the stakes were too high. He sat with his wife on the table and Amal started to serve.

He could have sworn that when he went out, Amal was cooking something with palm oil but at the dinner table was spaghetti and meatballs, there was no any trace of palm oil. He lifted his eyes and looked at her.

"What?" Amal asked, she continued serving.

"This wasn't what you were..." Kamal started and she cut him mid sentence

"Yeah, I change my mind"

"Why?" He asked perplexed.

"No reason at all" She replied with a grin.

He didn't trust her at that moment, Amal was up to something. Mischief was written in her eyes, in her smile but Kamal couldn't decipher her intention: he would thread carefully, he advised to himself.

Was it in his imagination or did Amal served him more food than usual? Ok, Kamal thought.

They ate slowly and silently. Once or twice Kamal caught a glimpse of Amal stealing a look at him as if checking to see something a miss. He wouldn't give her a reason to suspect he had eaten out, he aimed at clearing his plate.

Dinner was over. Kamal was overfed, he could hardly breath.
"I see you finished your food" Amal commented before Kamal could leave the table.

"Yeah, I was hungry" Kamal replied with what he thought was a convincing voice.

"Hmmm, really?" Amal tilted her head to the left "that's not the message I got from Mami"

"What?" Kamal's eyes almost popped out