Chapter Twenty Eight

For the next couple of months, all Kamal would hear from Amal was something to do with the baby. Amal seemed to not have a particular time to talk about their baby, it was always the gist. Her energy and enthusiasm on the pregnancy was unmatched. Kamal on the other hand was only weary of her hackneyed sentiments, not that he was not sharing in her sentiments but it was too extravagant that Kamal could not keep up with her degree of energy, it was so draining to him and yet he had to express his unending courtesy: if not for anything else, for the sake of peace.

Amal was as healthy as she hadn't been in ages, besides the usual early pregnancy symptoms. She was always glowing and energetic: the pregnancy seemed to agree to her. Kamal had seen a new found happiness in his wife: Amal was a happy person, yes, but she was happiest now. Not even Kamal's rants and unnecessary worries could spoil her mood.

Kamal had since employed the habit of being unnecessarily worried about his wife. If Amal should have as much as a slight headache, he would call on Dr Salma. One time, Dr Salma was prepping for surgery when he called to tell her he was worried his wife was eating too much. Dr Salma had to lecture Kamal after that on the normal physiology of pregnancy and reassured him that Amal's pregnancy was no different. Still, Dr Salma's call log was all Kamal's call and she had warned him time without number to stop calling her unnecessarily but Kamal had let her warning go unheard. Each time he called regarding some trivial pregnancy issue, the doctor would scold his unneeded anxiety.

While Amal was taking delight, enjoying her pregnancy experience, Kamal was basically obsessed with Amal's health.

                            *      *      *
    She shifted uneasily to a more comfortable position and closed her eyes slowly. The pain arising from her diaphragm to her chest was becoming unbearable. She tried to mask her pain with easy slow breaths, but even that came out as heavy and laborious.

"What's wrong?" Kamal's stern voice asked.

"Umm um" Amal responded "Nothing"

"You don't look like nothing is wrong with you" he said, looking intently at her. In his mind he was run into scenarios of a million things that could be wrong
"What's wrong?" He repeated and Amal let out a tired sigh. She could keep on saying nothing was wrong with her and Kamal would never give up or she could just tell him and let him worry sick his head about it: she chose the later.

"It's the heartburn again" she said with a tilt of her head "I'm sure it will subside soon, it does comes and go just like that"

"And you said 'it's nothing'?'

"You know how you are Kamal, you'll just keep going on and on about it and it's so exhausting than the heartburn itself" Amal complained stretching her legs on the center table. Kamal could only stared at her in disbelief as if that was the first time he's heard her say 'he's so exhausting', he shook his head

"I knew I should have gotten a vasectomy" he said under his breath "this could have been totally avoided"

"Say what?" Amal asked. With daggers in her eyes, she dared Kamal to repeat what he had just said but Kamal knew better than to repeat himself. He was not about to unleash Amal's wrath by implying he still do not think the baby was a good idea and should have been totally avoided or better still aborted.

"I said, I should go get you the antacid Aunty Salma prescribed, it will help with the heartburn" he swerved getting up from the sofa where he sat and disappearing into the bedroom. Amal followed him with her eyes. She would have been angered by what Kamal just said but she wasn't: Kamal could say all he wanted to say, she was having her baby and nothing else mattered. She laid back on the sofa with a nonchalant adjustment of her shoulders and waited for Kamal's return with the antacid.