Chapter Thirty Five

For the next week that followed, not one real conversation transpired between Amal and Kamal

For the next week that followed, not one real conversation transpired between Amal and Kamal. He had only made an appearance in room 17, three times in the whole week. Once because Umma had asked him to and twice because Mami literally forced him to. Even with those visits, he hardly said anything. He only comes in, look her way, answer her greetings with a nod or a dismissive wave of his hand, then leaves.

Did he know he was hurting her so badly? Was that his punishment for making him go through what he was going through? Amal wouldn't know but she knew one thing: she was dying inside, she was screaming and yet, no one could hear her scream.

Kamal was killing her, she wouldn't tell anyone. What's happening between Kamal and herself was their problem and she hoped Kamal would come around soon.

Kamal was her best friend, her confidant, her partner, and above all he was the love of her life. Without him, her life seemed meaningless: even seconds dragged like hours. Kamal was the life to her existence and that life was gradually fading away.

While waiting for the designated day for the surgery, Dr Salma made sure Amal was comfortable, giving her and the baby the best supportive management they needed.

The night before Amal's surgery, Kamal did not sleep a wink. All through the night, he prayed and prayed and prayed. His anxiety levels had skyrocketed and the only solace he found was in prayers which he did with upmost diligence.

If only there was someone he could talk to, he thought, but his best friend was lying in the hospital and he hardly talk to her these days. Also, he had shun away anyone who tried to talk to him. He was angry, so angry sometime he could feel the anger like a venom in his blood. But he wasn't angry at Amal, how could he be this angry at her. No, he loved her too much to be angry at her. It was the situation: a situation where everything was wrong, where he feels betrayed and helpless, a situation he hated so badly: it was the circumstance that made him so angry.

His wife's surgery will be successful, Kamal consoled himself. Besides Amal had become so good at beating odds, he thought with great optimism.

On the day of her surgery, scheduled in the early hours of the day, the nurse came into her room to prep her for the surgery. Amal was not so enthusiastic about her surgery and she knew she had to undergo that surgery today. She hadn't seen Kamal in three days now and she was barely holding up.

Amal was lost deep in her thoughts as the scrub nurse tried her into the surgery gown. Dr Salma came in then, she dismissed the nurse with a nod. She then observed Amal whom hitherto did not notice her entrance, she shook her head with great concern.

"Amal" she called placing a hand on her shoulder "are you ok?" She asked

It was then Amal realized the doctor's presence, she tried to give her an assurance smile but she couldn't
"I'm fine Aunty" she said, but even as she said it, Dr Salma knew she wasn't. It was understandable to be apprehensive before a double surgery of cesarean section and a craniotomy but Amal was excessively stressing.