Author's note

Salaam alaikum
Dearly beloved readers,

I hope I meet you in good health and wealth of course. Like I said I would drop an article on pre marriage tests/screening, so here it is. It wont be long I promise and I pray you learn from it.

     Pre marriage or premarital screening is basically tests which couples intending to get married are tested for genetic, infectious and blood transmitted diseases. These tests are to prevent transmitting diseases to each other and also to the children they are going to have.

So, i cant stress enough on the importance of this screening because of the increasing number of children affected with genetic or blood transmitted diseases. It is of paramount importance that every one should consider screening before going into marriage, at least for the sake of our unborn children.

What are the basic most important tests done In premarital screening?
- Blood group
- Genotype (Hb variant)
- HIV
- Hepatitis
- Gonorrhea
- Syphilis
- Clamydia

Genotype in humans are AA, AS, AC, SS. Yeah there is an AC but it's rare, picture it like AS but the abnormality a bit different.

The genotype matching for marriage goes thus:

- A person with genotype AA can marry anyone with no risk of having a sickler child. Even if they marry an SS, they will have AS but not SS.

- A person with genotype AS, should only marry someone with genotype AA, they will have AA  and AS children which is good: but if AS marries AS, there is one out of four chances (AA, AS, AS, SS). Same goes to AC genotype.
So AS should not marry AS.
P.S Some AS-AS, AS-AC, AC-AC couples got married and did not have a single sickler child, but are you ready to take that chance? Will you take the risk? What if you aren't so lucky?

- AS should not marry SS

- SS should definitely not marry SS

   In summary:

Hereditary diseases specially and specifically sickle cell disease is rampant today because of lack of awareness on premarital screening for genotype

Hereditary diseases specially and specifically sickle cell disease is rampant today because of lack of awareness on premarital screening for genotype. Alot of children suffer from sickle cell because their parents were not aware of screening or maybe, others because they knew but choose to ignore.

I dont know much, but I know no amount of love should make anyone marry someone with incompatible genotype, knowing what the consequences might be. Seeing your children suffer in pain when you know you could have done something initially to prevent it and you didn't? Darling you will hate yourself, it's not worth it.

Giving up on someone you love because of your genotype incompatibility, it's hard i know: being AS i know, i too had given up a love so beautiful by every criteria but i'm still eating, i still wake up every morning and go about life, i still think the most beautiful thing in the world is reading a good book under the light of a scented candle with a cup of coffee: point is i'm still alive and if anything, it made me stronger.
Let it go, i know some love comes once but with luck you will find it again.

  Also, you would want to know your partner's status on sexual transmitted diseases. Yeah I know what you are thinking, why am i even bringing up STD? When religion and tradition had already draw a line between us and sex before marriage. Don't be naive, do that STD screening especially HIV test: it's not trust breeching or anything of sort but take my word and be on the safe side. Better safe than sorry.

Ok loves, I should stop here and start writing the next chapter of 'Untill My Last Breath' for Friday update.

I hope you are informed by my article on premarital screening. You want to know how you can help spread the word? Tag your friends to read it.

Don't forget to vote and comment.

Till we meet on Friday, Until then
Stay blessed 😘
May the ink of my pen continue to grace your pages.

                                -SophisticatedDoc💋