Chapter Thirty Two

"Monitor her vitals round the clock" Dr Salma barked her orders professionally.
"You" she pointed at a junior nurse "get me her urine analysis for proteins, Asap"

"Aunty..." Kamal whimpered holding her hand, his teary eyes heavy with questions.

"Kamal, stay here" Aunty Salma said "We got her"

"What's wrong with her? She...she...."

"Kamal, Kamal look at me" his aunt urged "we'll take care of her, I'll get back to you as soon as I can" Dr Salma assured with a forceful smile. She hastened into the resuscitation room, leaving Kamal standing hopelessly at the door.

Back at the resus room, Amal was resuscitated and put into sedation. Dr Salma sent for the head obstetrician on call.

"What's her BP?" Dr Salma asked the head nurse.

"110/90"

"110/90?" The Dr pondered for a second "110/90" she repeated "are u sure?"
Before the nurse could answer, Dr Salma said
"Please, do me a favor. Repeat it" the nurse nodded and left immediately leaving the Dr with a junior nurse.

"Did you get the urine for analysis?" She asked impatiently and when the junior nurse answered with a juvenile shake of her head, Dr Salma barked "what are you still waiting for then, this is a high risk patient" She closed her eyes slowly and breath, then she continued, more casually now
"We need to find the cause of her convulsion as soon as possible, I will be damned if she convulse again under my watch".

   The head obstetrician came almost immediately, he met Dr Salma at the resuscitation room.
"Dr Salma" he greeted and Dr Salma nodded in acknowledgment.

"Dr Ishaq" she said "thanks for coming this early morning"

"Of course. I hear it's your nephew's wife"

"Yes it is" Dr Salma answered wearily.

"How is the patient?" He asked.

"Stable"

"Is she here, at the resus?"

"Yes"

"Lead the way" he said.

After examining Amal, both doctors left the resus room to Dr Salma's office.

Dr Ishaq found himself a chair and sat down even before he was offered a sit.

"What are you querying?" He enquired

"Eclampsia" Dr Salma responded sitting in her chair.

"Eclampsia with a BP of 110/90?

"I'm yet to get the protein test" she said defensively. Dr Ishaq realized what was going on then. The patient was Family and Dr Salma was leaning towards the most easiest diagnosis in her situation.

"Dr Salma I understand your relationship with the patient but..."

"Are u questioning my capabilities Dr Ishaq?"

"No, not at all doctor" He said apologetically "but if you really think it is a case of eclampsia, why is she still in your ward? Why isn't she in the obstetrics ward?"

Dr Salma sighed, she wanted it to be eclampsia but then just because she wanted it to be doesn't mean it is. She shook her head regretfully and held her forehead with her hand.

"I understand that she is family but you have to keep your emotions aside, you know what this feelings can do. You can't have your judgment clouded, your decisions can't be bias..."
There was a the knock at the door and Dr Ishaq stopped.