Chapter Five

It had only been a few seconds, but it felt like she was waiting forever

No one was coming to wake her up, this was reality. The sound of her mother sobbing only confirmed its validity.

"Umma" Amal called "lets go home"
Umma looked at Amal and then at the doctor as if requesting his permission.

"She should be admitted" the Doctor said "i'll refer you to a very good oncologist".

"I'm going home" Amal said, Umma was indecisively quite "i dont even know how long i've had this, a day or two at home wont make a difference"

"Ok" Umma said "lets go home then".

   As soon as they entered the house, Umma had fallen into Abba's arms and sobbed. Amal had walked straight to her room. The twins and Maryam just stood speechless staring at one another.
None knew what was causing all the tears and misery, until now no one explained.
The girls had followed Amal to her room in hope to get some cue but she had shun them away.

It wasn't till Abba had calmed Umma, she told him.
At first he was silent. Silently he had invoked upon his Lord for strength and then he had risen solemnly and made out of the sitting room leaving a crying Umma crying even harder.

When the news reached the girls, they couldn't be less devastated. Maryam went hysteric.

Amal refused to talk to anyone about what was going on, and for the rest of the day the whole house was silent like a graveyard.
They were all grief-stricken, no one had the heart to console another.

Amal had showered and gone to sleep early that night, she wouldn't think, not today. She wouldn't want to think, not ever.
Kamal had called her and she had refused to take the call. Surprisingly, she did had a reasonable amount of sleep.
She wondered if anyone else at the house slept at all, why wouldn't they? She thought selfishly.

                               .    .    .
Like every other morning, she woke up and went about her day. Just that this morning when she entered the kitchen to make breakfast, Umma was already making breakfast. She couldn't remember the last time Umma made breakfast, she usually will be preparing for work. Wouldn't she be going to work today? Amal asked herself.

She greeted Umma and Umma replied with a smile. They worked together in the kitchen in unbroken silence.

  When they sat on the dinning table to eat, Amal noticed how she looked better than any of them. They all looked terrible from worrying. Maryam in particular was all boggy. Poor thing, She must have been crying all night, Amal thought and wished she could just hug her and tell her everything was fine, it isn't and it wasn't.
There was an awkward silence on the table.

Breakfast was over and yet none had breakfasted.

The twins cleared the table, Amal returned to her room immediately. She felt like every one's attention was on her, they were all looking at her. She was avoiding them.