Chapter Thirteen

Days of courtship for Kamal and Amal were numbered

Days of courtship for Kamal and Amal were numbered. Everyone had been running helter-skelter. Amal seemed to be the only person who was relaxed, she had her bridesmaids to do all her biddings.

Already Kamal's family had presented the trousseau: lefe. How beautiful was Amal's lefe? It was the talk among family and friends. It was exquisite.

Amal had insisted on a simple wedding: so it goes kamu, yini, wedding fatiha, a dinner party which Kamal had insisted on and Amal had compromised on seeing how Kamal had compromised too on the pre wedding photo shoot she didn't wanted: then the wedding will be wrapped by conveying the bride to her new home and subsequently budan kai, which was mainly a gathering of the grooms family to meet their new bride and bestow upon her blessings, prayers and of course lots of presents, including cash.

    Five days to the wedding and the house was already full of guests: uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents and alot of family family friends.

On this day Amal's aunts and cousins were going to Amal's new home for jere: decoration of the bride's home. Amal had continuously begged to go with them. She couldn't wait to see what her new home looked like. Umma had flatly forbidden her to go: it was bad luck for the bride to see her home before she was officially conveyed to her groom, she had said.

Amal had given in, but she had secretly called on her friend Samira, who was going along: aside, and asked her to please make her a video of the house. Samira showed her reluctancy about that: her reasons: if caught by Umma or any of the elder aunts, she was definitely going to face their wrath.

Amal had then reminded Samira that her sole duty as a bridesmaid was to please the bride, not the bride mother or aunts. She had threatened to relieve Samira of her bridesmaid duties, and because Samira refused to loose her bridesmaid's position for anything, she promised to make the video.

    During the evening, Kamal had come to take Amal. They were going to see Dr Salma.
When Kamal arrived at the house, there had been alot of greetings going around and before they finally left, Kamal was exhausted from all the greetings.

"Wai! Amal, you have a lot of family" Kamal mentioned on their way to the hospital.

Amal laughed.

"I'm sure Mami's house is no different right now" she replied

"Oh, tell me about it" Kamal exasperated "i cant even sleep in the house, every where is just chaos. I slept at the office yesterday and i woke up to thirty seven missed calls" he complained and shook his head, then he continued "I'm basically avoiding the house right now" he confessed and Amal couldn't contain her laughter.

While Kamal was despising the loudness and the attention, Amal was happy she get to meet her family members: most of which they meet only on such occasional gatherings.