Chapter Twenty

Amal was inclined on the bedroom cushion, her back supported by soft fibre filled pillows. She was chatting on phone with her friend Samira who had been so worried since she heard about the relapse. Kamal was running helter skelter around the house. Amal had noticed how Kamal had been restless since the day before, today she was going to be admitted into the hospital and Kamal was so tense.

"What should I pack for the hospital?" Kamal asked for almost the hundredth time and Amal rolled her eyes away.

"For the thousandth time Kamal, the hospital has everything" She answered.

"There must be something we should take, I mean we can't just show up like that" Kamal insisted.

"Ok Kamal, pack my underwear, my toiletries, my scrubbing cream, my face mask, my favorite mug, my flip flops: the purple, the books on my bed side drawer, my ipad, don't forget my makeup kit and my socks"

"And you say there was nothing to pack?" Kamal argued and Amal was dazed at the fact that he didn't get her sarcasm.

"The hospital has the necessary things, you want to pack, so i gave you a list" She decided humor him for his troubles.

"Whatever, I am packing up your list"

"Good, Don't forget my phone charger" Amal added and she continued chatting on her phone.

Minutes passed and Kamal was still packing unnecessarily.
"God" Amal implored "what's wrong with this man"

"Kamal" she sighed with unfeigned weariness "Kill me already with your anxiety, will you?"

"What?" Kamal asked.

"Come here" Amal called and Kamal dropped the things he was carrying, he came and sat besides her. Amal held his face in both her hands, she smiled lovingly.
"Kamal look at me" She began and Kamal sighed, he looked at her "now, breath" She said and Kamal obeyed.

"Good" Amal continued "I am going to be fine Kamal, I have done this before. You need to stop worrying and stressing, I am trying to be calm and I swear you are not helping"

"Promise me you will be fine" Kamal requested and Amal hesitated

"Please" He pleaded

"I promise"

"I love you"

"I know" Amal smiled "You still got that worried look on your handsome face"

"I'm so sorry Love, I don't know what to do" Kamal apologized

"Ok, don't do anything. Just sit here with me and when it's time to go to the hospital, we're going to get up silently and leave" Amal said and Kamal nodded.

Kamal looked at the wall clock, they should be leaving for the hospital in about an hour. Slowly he laid his head on Amal's lap and relaxed as she had suggested. It was going to be a long one hour for Kamal.

    When they reached the hospital, Umma was there talking with Dr Salma in her office, so was Samira. Of course, Amal thought; they wouldn't miss this for anything. Amal greeted Umma with a hug and then Samira too. After all the greetings, Dr Salma had suggested for Amal to go to her first chemotherapy session right away and Amal had complied.

"Are you ok, Kamal" Dr Salma who had noticed the unusual silence about Kamal asked.

"Yes, Aunty. I am fine" Kamal replied nonchalantly.

"Aunty please talk to him" Amal pleaded with Dr Salma "he has been doing all the worrying for both of us. Will you please tell him i will be fine"