Chapter Fourty

"Salam alaikum" Kamal greeted as he entered Dr Salma's office the next morning.

"Kamal, come in. Have a sit" Dr Salma offered. Kamal took the sit.

"How is Amal today?" He asked.

"The same" Dr Salma replied with a sad face "you didn't go in to see her?"

"I wanted to talk to you first"

"Ok" she said "but first, have you had breakfast"

"I'm not hungry Aunty"

"Of course you're not" Kamal didn't miss the tone of sarcasm in his aunt's voice, he sighed.

Dr Salma stood from her chair and walked to the kitchenette to make Kamal something to eat.

"Tea?" She asked

"Ok" Kamal replied "yes please".

"I have some fried yam and plantain, which would you have?"

"I'm not hungry Aunty, I will have just the tea"

"Ok then, you'll have both the fried yam and the plantain" Dr Salma said as she started to fix him a plate.

"Aunty" Kamal drawled lazily.

"You can Aunty me all you want Kamal but you are eating" Dr Salma said placing a plate in front of him.

Kamal took one look at the food and his stomach grumbled of hunger. He hadn't eaten a real meal in a bit and he realized then how hungry he was.

Dr Salma made tea for herself too, she sipped as she watched Kamal savored the delicacy before him. Poor thing! She thought. Obviously, he was hungry, her heart filled with sympathy for him.

Kamal finished everything on his plate and his aunt was glad.
"So Kamal, what was it you wanted to talk to me about" She initiated.

"Yes, before that" Kamal Smiled coyly "thank you for the food"

"Anytime" Dr Salma smiled and she waited for Kamal to proceed and he did immediately.

"Aunty, Amal went into cardiac arrest yesterday" He said.

"Yes Kamal, I was there" his aunt reminded him.

"How much time does she have" He asked and Dr Salma wasn't expecting that.

"Kamal..." She meditated

"Aunty please: this is me, your nephew asking. I need to know"

Dr Salma speculated for a moment before she replied "Not much time"

"How much time" Kamal pressed further.

"With her condition, a compromised immune system and a weak heart, days maybe a week or so" Dr Salma estimated.

Kamal nodded slowly
"I have decided to take her home" he announced.

"Home?" The doctor's surprise couldn't be masked.

"Yes Aunty, I'm taking my wife home" Kamal restated.

"She will have better care here in the hospital" his aunt objected.

"You can arrange for hospice" He said "Amal would want to be home" He added silently, to himself.

Dr Salma laid back in her chair, she studied Kamal with inquisitive eyes.
"You didn't discuss this with her parents" She surmised "that's why you wanted to talk to me first"

"After what happened yesterday, I'm not sure they will take this lightly" Kamal verified.

"You never know, go talk to them. We all want what's best for Amal".