Chapter 16

Monday was here again and I had never been so happy about going to work.

I hadn’t seen Jason since our fight on Saturday and after that weird dream I had, I could care less about him just as he could care less about me.

I got dressed and moved downstairs silently praying he wasn’t home and lucky for me, he had gone to work early so imagine the happy dance I did in my head.

“Good morning ma’am.” Jane said looking up from the food she was preparing.

“Jane! It’s so nice to see you again.” I said walking up to hug her tightly which seemed to take her by surprise.

“Same here ma’am. How was the weekend?”

“Good but I wish you were here. The house got boring pretty fast.”

“Oh–but I thought Mr Anderson was back?”

“He is but let’s just say he’s not really my biggest fan right now.”

“Oh–okay then.” She said smiling a little.

“Oh Jane? Could you call me Kayla. I really like it when my friends call me that.” I said giving her a genuine smile.

“Okay ma–sorry Kayla.”

A knock from the door interrupted us and we turned to see Nathan at the door with his signature look and glasses.

“Good morning Mrs Anderson. I’m here to pick you up for work are you ready?”

I was about to call him out for the name but I remembered he was right.

That was my name.

“Nice to see you too Nathan.” I said rolling my eyes, “I’ll be down in five.”

“Okay ma’am.” He said and turned to walk away.

“How do you deal with him? The man has like no ability to have facial expressions.” Jane said.

“You get used to it.” I answered with a light chuckle. “I’m going to be getting groceries today so don’t bother about it.”

“But that’s my duty.” She said with a slight frown.

“It’s mine now.” I said smiling at her.

“I know. It’s just weird that I’m gonna stop. I’ve been doing for a while so I’m kinda used to it.”

“Well now that I’m here I’d like for you to focus more on school although I’ll miss your food, you still need to go to school.”

“I’ll still come over. You’re not getting rid of me easily.”

“Didn’t plan to.” I sad with a wink.

“Now let me get going before I’m late to work.” I said standing up

“Here, I packed you some breakfast.” She said stretching out a small bag towards me.

“I swear I love you Jane.” I said going around to hug her before I grabbed my bag and headed towards the door.

“Have a nice day Kayla.” She called out after me.

“You too Jane.”

I walked out of the door to see Nathan standing by it and he opened it as soon as I walked close to him.

“Hey there Leonard. How are you?”
I asked as soon as I got in.

“Hello Mrs Anderson. It’s been a while.” He said with his charming smile that I’m sure used to win girls over when he was much younger.