Chapter 47

“Jason?” I called out to him with my semi-masculine voice with was as a result of lack of use.

I’d heard him when he entered but I wasn’t sure because I was in and out of it thanks to the drugs in my system.

Rose had warned me about the drowsiness and I guess that’s what didn’t allow me to comprehend the fact that he was sobbing quickly.

It was when I felt the tears fall on my hand that I knew it was really him crying and it suddenly felt like I was wide awake.

Plus, he actually called my real name which was a first.

Not once since we met has he called me Kayla, till now.

“Oh my God Hazel, I’m so glad you’re okay.” He said with relief flooding his face.

I guess we were back to Hazel now huh?

I opened my mouth to talk when he beat me to it.

“I’m so sorry.” He said.

“For what?” I asked with a confused look then cleared my throat so I didn’t sound like a dying frog.

“What are you apologizing for?” I asked him finally getting part of my voice back.

“This is all my fault,” he said pointing at my body,  “I shouldn’t have let you go alone and I shouldn’t have—”

“Enough with the self blame Jason, this is nobody’s fault.” I said which caused him to look away from me.

I had seen what self blame did to him and I wasn’t going to allow him go back to acting like he did during the period of Jamie’s death.

“Look at me Jason,” I said softly, “please.” I added which caused his eyes to turn to me and when I stared, all I could see was the sorrow in his eyes.

“This isn’t your fault. It’s mine.” I said.

“Why would you say that?” He asked with an offended look.

“Because Tony is my ex. It all happened because I ruined his life, I took the only family he had away from him and caused him to lose all the sanity he had left. He wanted to ruin me because he didn’t want to be miserable alone and what better way than to make me share his misery with him.”

“You didn’t do anything wrong. If anything he’s the one that is crazy because he hates you for trying to help.”

“You know he hit me anytime I called him crazy?” I said with a distant sad smile, “he hated that word so much.”

I suddenly realized what happened and shook my head to give him a fake smile but he saw through it immediately.

“What did he do to you?” He asked with a broken look on his face.

“Nothing I can’t handle.” I said with my best fake smile yet.

“Hazel—”

“I’m fine Jason. I promise.” I said with a crossed finger under my blanket.

I wasn’t fine and I knew it but I wasn’t going to let anyone know.

I didn’t need to pass my pain to other people. It was my cross and my trauma to bear alone.

I suddenly remembered what Rose told me.

“What happened Jason? How did you end up back in the hospital?” I asked him and he immediately frowned.

“Why the hell did she tell you?” He said in a low tone.

“Because I asked. Now tell me why you didn’t take care of yourself.”