Chapter 24

IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END!!
PLEASE READ!!

Tomorrow is Jamie’s death anniversary and I didn’t know what to do.

After Sunday, he totally shut down, he hardly spoke, ate or even slept. I knew he was afraid to sleep because of the nightmares but when I would suggest to stay with him, he would brush me off saying he was okay but the dark circles underneath his eyes were enough proof that he wasn’t okay.

Its been three days and I am already going crazy. I decided to go see the one person that knew him probably more than anybody else.

I got off work early since I was kind of the boss already and told Leo where I was going to which he seemed to know without any directions from me.

Not like I knew it anyway.

The building was big and I wondered how someone as unserious as he was managed to be that successful but then again, I didn’t know him that well.

His secretary directed me to his office and I couldn’t help but admire the beauty around me.

I knocked softly as I opened the door silently hoping he wasn’t with anyone. I couldn’t afford to be scarred for life.

“Hey.”

“Hey Kaybear.” He said a little less enthusiastic than normal.

“Are you okay? You sound…sad.”

“Well I’m not happy if that’s what you’re asking.” He said as he stared at a frame in front of him.

I stretched my hand forward and turned the frame towards me.

“Is that—”

“Jamie. Yeah she’s the one.” He completed for me with a sad smile which caused me to be sad.

Brandon was the happiest person around me but even the happy ones have a sad story behind their smile.

“I’m so sorry you didn’t get to tell her how much you cared about her.”

“It’s fine it wasn’t your fault anyway, it was mine. I’m guessing Jason told you everything.”

“Yeah he did.”

“I miss her a lot.” He said after a moment of silence.

“I remember when I started liking her, it was their tenth birthday and I had finally passed the stage of saying girls are irritating.” He paused and we both laughed, “she wasn’t wearing a pink gown like most girls liked wearing, she was wearing a red gown. I remember her looking so beautiful and when she saw the gift I gave her, she gave me a huge kiss on my cheek and I was convinced I was on top of the world. She always said she wanted a skateboard so I got her one.

Jamie was different from the other girls, she loved books, music and skateboards. She always played basketball with Jason and I although I never said it to her face but she was way better than I was. She would always beat me and I kept on saying I let her win which was bullshit, I sucked at it but I enjoyed skating so when she told me to teach her, I was so happy that we would get to spend time together.

One time we kissed, we were fifteen. I was scared of rejection so I told her it was a mistake, I knew she was hurt because she avoided me for a month and when she finally started talking to me, she got herself a boyfriend and that was how it started.  She kept dating and dating and I kept watching her grow into a beautiful woman from the sidelines.

The night of the party, she called me but I was so sick I couldn’t pick up so when I heard what happened, I felt like killing myself because I wasn’t there for her but when I saw how much my best friend hated himself, I put my self pity aside and stayed by him even though I was slowly dying from heartbreak. She was so beautiful and smart and talented. She was my everything even though I never had her.”